Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Namepros down - Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDot

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what is going on at Namepros?

They have been down for quite a few hours now!

Domain Days 2024

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Noticed earlier today and fishing for clues all day but nobody can tell me what is going on. I hope they will be back online soon (I was hoping to close a deal there this weekend).

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Possible DOS attack. Should be back up soon.

petrosc

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was in the middle of 2 deals and this down time might cost me grately

PolurNET.com

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately it is almost certain to be a DDOS attack, webhostingtalk was affected earlier this morning but now solved. However, both sites use different datacenters, so perhaps coincidental incidents...

McDot

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I find it strange.

It seems this kind of attacks are happening very frequently these days and most hosters seem to not apply enough safety measures.

PolurNET.com

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I find it strange.

It seems this kind of attacks are happening very frequently these days and most hosters seem to not apply enough safety measures.

In reality, there is no viable way in effectively preventing these attacks. Loopholes are always present and can be exploited, even on major corporate sites. The reason you don't see them as often on the larger sites is perhaps partly due to their multi-server/network setup, whereas sites like namepros depend on a single network/server.

What does need to be prevented if possible is the nature of the people who have enough time on their hands to run these sort of idiotic attacks, enjoying the chaos it creates... IMO, these are sick people with no lives of their own.

DomainAcrobat

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What does need to be prevented if possible is the nature of the people who have enough time on their hands to run these sort of idiotic attacks, enjoying the chaos it creates... IMO, these are sick people with no lives of their own.

EXACTLY, its the same type of people that play video games using exploits and cheats ruining things for everyone. No real reason for it, just bored and stupid kids usually. Makes me crazy!

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Turns out its a somewhat major DOS attack. We're in the process of installing a new firewall, and attempting to block it at the datacenter level.

I still have access to the NamePros server on the backend. If anyone needs anything urgently, they can PM me here.

Don't know if this attack is related to the WHT one or not, their site seems to be down too.

-RJ-

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you are working on it RJ. Can you tell me my post count btw? (j/k)

These DDOS attacks suck. A possibly remedy is to have a secondary server with an alternative domain name ready to implement. Protecting against these attacks is nearly futile though. One just has to hope the datacenter is friendly with help and able to plug the problem as best possible.

Does this attack have anything to do with how DNF was hacked some time ago? I remember the last time the scammer/hacker nailed a handful of domainer sites in a relatively short period of time. It's all so silly really. They are just creating disruption and loss of business yet give themselves little to no gain (other than a perverse pleasure).

Good luck.

McDot

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
@James Names

Thanks for answering here.

Good luck
...and hope you will be back online soon.

duceman

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to let us know RJ

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
good luck RJ

tipsfromthetop

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi RJ,

You know me from namepros and know i am also in the ISP/ Hosting business. I would just like to point out and say to people not sure on this it doesnt matter how much money you spend to prevent DOS attacks.. There is always a loop hole they find even if its a looping request that sends a request a 1000+ times a second it puts load on the firewalls etc which in turn cause them to heat and fail then the servers get hit and do the same.

The best defense is to shut it down and wait..

As a business we have spent a small fortune on this defense but no more we just turn off that server so it goes to our backup servers on a different address.

RJ and team best of luck and see you soon.

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As a business we have spent a small fortune on this defense but no more we just turn off that server so it goes to our backup servers on a different address.

Exactly. Riding the storm out is better than building a bigger boat. Eventually the attacks stop.

stuartsdomains

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would'nt be suprised if someone launched a ddos attack on them, in my experience they have some very nasty individuals amongst there admin ranks.

They banned my ip for life after i defended someone who was being bullied in there chatroom by one of there very own admins.

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hmm... The only person on the staff that has the ability to permanently ban an IP address is me, and that honor is reserved for only for the worst spammers we encounter. I don't recall ever using it over a chat room incident.

Still, you're welcome to email me with your grievance sometime if you disagree with a moderator's decision. There have been some staff and management changes in the past two months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom