Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Names of famous people domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Only if you own it BEFORE they become famous, and they trademark their name.

Even then,...

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
not worth the risk (unless its your name)

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
You can change your name to that name you're trying to register. Hey, that's not a bad idea :D

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
you could, but the content on the site would have to be about you (not as interesting) and not about the celeb or youwould be back to square one.

George Verdugo

Seasoned Domainer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
do not buy

catchmesleeping

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the fast feedback on this - I definitely won't be changing my name to 'Hines Ward' :D

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you develop a fan site you may be 'safe'.
Look up WIPO for past cases.

Now anybody can sue about anything, there is no guarantee you will never be hit with a complaint one day.
These names are TMs and carry a certain level of risk.
IMO these names are not worth the hassle in general.

wantedfree

Level 1
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You need to be careful with the DMCA rules - they can take that domain away from you if they're really anal about it.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You need to be careful with the DMCA rules - they can take that domain away from you if they're really anal about it.

DMCA could work on the domain name's web site content, if any, depending on what's in there. If you mean the act of registering a domain name bearing that famous person's name, DMCA doesn't apply.

After all, DMCA means Digital Millennium Copyright Act. There's no "T" for Trademark in it.

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do not take this as legal advice.

It's my opinion that in this particular case, you ought to save yourself the time and the money.

However, in general, it depends. To be more specific, it depends on how serious your "target" is about their name, and how serious YOU are about using your first amendment rights to defend your ownership of the domain name.

What determines each of these is a deeper level of dependence. Namely, how much the "target" relies on their name, and how much you rely on being able to own the domain name consisting of said name.

If they've sent you a cease and desist letter, or attempted to take you to WIPO over it, they obviously rely on their name to great enough of an extent that you really need to be serious about keeping it.

Using the example of Hines Ward, this would be VERY difficult to defend, as it's an uncommon name, and therefore you would have a harder time pulling the "common name" argument.

If I were you, and the name in question was truly worth the battle for (i.e. keeping it will generate a justifiable volume of revenue, or is likely to result in a worthwhile settlement from your adversary), you may want to consider setting up a fan site which acknowledges, and is in line with, the intellectual property which is that person's name, but as a very key point, does not profit off of things relating specifically to that mark.

A perfect example of this is the ladygaga.org case in September... http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/lady-gaga-loses-legal-fight-239805

The owner of this name was able to retain ownership as it was merely a fan site, perfectly acceptable within free speech, but no wares of any sort were being offered with respect to Lady Gaga's name. Therefore, no infringement was found.

The NAF decision can be found here: http://domains.adrforum.com/domains/decisions/1403808.htm

(pretty cool name that respondent has, isn't it?)

So, to specifically address this situation, forget about it. It's not worth it, especially because from a demand standpoint, the way traffic is driven in relation to football players is much different from that of recording artists such as Lady Gaga.

Tim Schoon

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would only buy such a domain if it would be a historical figure/icon who doesn't live anymore. That way you could build an informative/biography page. For example AlbertEinstein dot com.
Most other cases aren't worth the risk to me, so I'd simply stay away.

eeedc

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would only buy such a domain if it would be a historical figure/icon who doesn't live anymore..

The state and country laws are different, but you have to wait quite a few years, decades.
For example, GeoregWashington.com, like GeorgeWashington Widgets would be safe, but
I don't think AlbertEinstein has been dead long enough (James Dean still gets royalties under USA/CA law)
I don't think it's worth the trouble or legal fees, and any buyer will also not want the trouble.

Maxwell, above, has identified a fair use exemption, and even though they won, they did get sued. They might have been better off with GagaFanClub.

BacklinkMafia

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Despite all the shortcomings, I like the idea of registering domains names of famous people

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom