Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
  • You must be a member of DNForum for a minimum of 30 days and have contributed to the community prior to being allowed to post an offer or create a new discussion of an affiliate program. This notice will disappear when your account is eligible.

You may also contact support if you feel you are receiving this message in error.
NDD Camp 2024

Need Advice on high bw site

Status
Not open for further replies.

guile

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I own the domain 3DLevels.com and would like to create a website that has reviews and level downloads for multiple games. I am confident that if the site is developed as I envision it, it will eventually lead to constant traffic and downloads. Think "Your one stop game level headquarters".

Although I am into 3D Level design and always wanted to host a level site, my problem is that I don't know if this type of site will ever be profitable, or affordable for that matter. I guess it doesn't help that I am still somewhat of a newb when it comes to that stuff.

Basically, I will need a really good host. I am assuming that I will be paying quite alot monthly to have enough webspace and banwidth to host all the custom maps that come out for new games.

Most game levels are under 10megs...Lets say I have 1000 d/ls of 10mb files a day...That is 10 gb / day...Which would be 300 gb / mo.
These numbers may be playing it safe, but most of the hosting plans I see don't even offer close to this. Even at that I would be paying $xxx / mo out of pocket.

I need advice on how to make this work. Are there a\ny cheap hosts out there? Good affiliate programs to lessen the cost of hosting? Or is this just not worth it?

I could always list maps that the designers host on their own web space, but I would prefer to host them on my site.

I'm thinking eventually I could offer some type of membership plan that only allowed non-members so many d/ls per month. I am willing to sink money into this idea if it will be worthwile down the road, especially since it is something I like doing.

Nameable

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Welcome quile. I like your idea.

However, this is probably best asked in the development/hosting forum.

If you look through the threads there you'll quickly get a feel for which hosting providers offer good service and you should find at least 3 or 4 solid leads. Several providers offer dedicated or managed servers in the $200-$300/mo range (some less) with 1000GB xfer/mo. I'm not going to give specific referrals here because prices and terms change often.

Generally you are trading speed for volume when you go with that sort of plan, but as long as you pick a provider with multiple DS3 or greater connections you should do fine.

If you don't mind me saying so... since money seems to be the issue, I think you need to take into consideration the development and promotional start up costs first. Bandwidth won't become a factor until you've developed a significant audience. By that time you ought to have a decent revenue model in place. With this in mind, I'd suggest looking for a host that provides an easy upgrade path... start out with a decent dedicated box and a lower amount of bandwidth. Keep an eye on how much bandwidth you're using, and bump up your hosting plan as you approach the limit.

You could also separate the site hosting from the level file hosting from the beginning, so that your site stays up even though your file hosting has gone over the bandwidth allotment.

guile

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Nameable. I noticed the development forum after I created this thread...Oh well.

I like the idea of hosting the files and website itself on seperate servers. That atleast eliminates the worry of exceeding bandwidth and losing visitors becuase the site is down.

I also think progressively increasing storage and bandwidth as needed would be good if I could find a good host that allows that.

I just need a revenue model and a way to get the site to pay for itself a year or 2 down the road.

bocajohnh

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Excellent suggestions Nameable. Starting small and scaling is a great way to save $$ now to spend them later.

guile, another option you have is to buy an existing site, and start modifying it for your needs. If the site has been around a awhile, the former owner can probably give you insight into the hosting requirements.

For example, DF member daniel is selling a site that he says has been around for awhile and claims to have hundreds of users. It caters to C&C, but I'm sure it could be modified for your purposes. Here's a link to the thread:

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?t=48724

Note: I am not a broker for Daniel or this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators