Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Need Advice on Selling a Premium Domain Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNportfolio

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am not a newbie to the domain industry (although my profile on this forum would make it appear that way), but I don't have much experience with selling cream-of-the-crop domains. I obtained a truly premium domain a couple of years ago from the original registrant, who reg'd it in 1996. To give you some idea of the value of this domain, the original registrant had it appraised back in 1998 and it came back at $1.5 million. Everyone who hears that I own this domain (100% ownership) drops their jaw. Most people who know of this domain also agree that it is a million-dollar domain, but my reserve would be lower than that. This is truly a premium domain in the movie industry.

I would like to sell this domain, but have never sold one of this high caliber before and I need to get some advice as to how I should go about this to a) avoid getting ripped off and b) get the best net price possible. I'm considering offering the domain in one of the upcoming T.R.A.F.F.I.C. live auctions, but not sure if that is really the best way to go. Obviously I want to sell to an end user to get the best sale price.

I also thought about contacting several different brokers and inquiring as to who will commit to the highest reserve and lowest commission rate. Not sure that kind of approach would sit well though. Might be the best way to get a high-profit private sale though. (?)

Another option might be for me to just market it myself direct to the bigwigs in the movie industry. But that feels a bit over my head.

Please reply. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Domain summit 2024

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rick Latona perhaps ?
You have a banner just under your post :D

Soofi

First Come First Serve .iN & .ORG Backorders
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
if its category killer, one word or generic term.. why not try Epik.com's Rob

P.S. y hiding domain name ??

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Try the next T.r.a.f.f.i.c.

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Another option might be for me to just market it myself direct to the bigwigs in the movie industry. But that feels a bit over my head.

Only do this if you really know what you're doing and have a good attorney which can review your sales pitch. If you approach the big companies in a "wrong" way, you might end up with a C&D/WIPO.

I'd talk to Christian Kalled at Sedo. He has a good network and has brokered some really huge names.

Best of luck!

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The Traffic show is not the way to go...at least not right now. I would hold it for another year or so...meanwhile sinking maybe 5k into developing to add value. If the name is that good...the development target should be pretty obvious.

gaetanomarano

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

despite I've seen many sections and I've read the forum and sub-forum's rules, I still don't understand IF is possible (and where in the forum) to open a thread about a FIXED PRICE domain (rather than on auction) on sale in another website like WebsiteBroker, eBay, etc.

admin's help welcome

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

despite I've seen many sections and I've read the forum and sub-forum's rules, I still don't understand IF is possible (and where in the forum) to open a thread about a FIXED PRICE domain (rather than on auction) on sale in another website like WebsiteBroker, eBay, etc.

admin's help welcome

While your question is not related to the OP's thread, here: http://www.dnforum.com/f178/

Edit: Hmmm. I see you are looking for fixed price. Dunno.

gaetanomarano

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
While your question is not related to the OP's thread, here: http://www.dnforum.com/f178/

Edit: Hmmm. I see you are looking for fixed price. Dunno.

I've already posted my question in the help section of the forum, but without receive any admin/user's answer

I've already seen the auction's section, but it's not clear if I can post there also the links to external domains sale ads with fixed prices

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am not a newbie to the domain industry (although my profile on this forum would make it appear that way), but I don't have much experience with selling cream-of-the-crop domains. I obtained a truly premium domain a couple of years ago from the original registrant, who reg'd it in 1996. To give you some idea of the value of this domain, the original registrant had it appraised back in 1998 and it came back at $1.5 million. Everyone who hears that I own this domain (100% ownership) drops their jaw. Most people who know of this domain also agree that it is a million-dollar domain, but my reserve would be lower than that. This is truly a premium domain in the movie industry.

I would like to sell this domain, but have never sold one of this high caliber before and I need to get some advice as to how I should go about this to a) avoid getting ripped off and b) get the best net price possible. I'm considering offering the domain in one of the upcoming T.R.A.F.F.I.C. live auctions, but not sure if that is really the best way to go. Obviously I want to sell to an end user to get the best sale price.

I also thought about contacting several different brokers and inquiring as to who will commit to the highest reserve and lowest commission rate. Not sure that kind of approach would sit well though. Might be the best way to get a high-profit private sale though. (?)

Please reply. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

if the domain is really "all that", then you should have been getting plenty of unsolicited offers

the only thing you need to know is...

how much you money want for it and how you want the money sent.

if you haven't been getting any offers, then maybe the domain ain't all that.

imo...

godolphin

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Does the domain get any type-in traffic? Does it earn revenue?

Soofi

First Come First Serve .iN & .ORG Backorders
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would like to know the domain name.. can you pm or publish it here?

Last edited:

DNportfolio

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The domain name really is "all that." I'm choosing not to publish the name at this time. The domain does get frequent offers and has type-in traffic. While I do consider this domain to be a category killer, I'm looking for a specific type of end user to get the best sale -- someone with a Hollywood-level ego ;-)

Anyone out there have the contacts to market a domain to people like Liz Taylor, William Shatner or Arnold Schwarzenegger?

Last edited:

Cartoonz

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The domain name really is "all that." I'm choosing not to publish the name at this time. The domain does get frequent offers and has type-in traffic. While I do consider this domain to be a category killer, I'm looking for a specific type of end user to get the best sale -- someone with a Hollywood-level ego ;-)

Anyone out there have the contacts to market a domain to people like Liz Taylor, William Shatner or Arnold Schwarzenegger?

I'm assuming you are talking about M...P..com. If so:

1. None of the people you listed are even close to the target market. Studios, maybe... over the hill actors, not so much.

2. Problem is, it likely won't fetch much more than a fraction of whatever value was appraised on it in 1998... that seems way out of line, even then.

Yes, there is a pretty straight forward way to market the domain to the right target markets but keep in mind that, while it sounds really good, it is not likely a name that they will be all hot for as they are heavily branded in their own right and this name, while good, does not truly offer an advantage to them to own.

Where it would offer an advantage, like to the Academy of...domain name..., they won't pay much. Same for museum collections, I'm afraid.

There is one segment of the market that "may" get it, but that's a toss up.

PM me if you want to discuss it.

and, yeah, I do know something about how to do this.. lol

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
So what's the name? Maybe you can post in the exclusive section and you can see where you stand in today's market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators