Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Need advice on using Escrow.com for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm about to use Escrow.com for the first time to buy a domain name from a reseller, and was wondering if I could get people's advice on a few things.

Basically, I need to know what all the things are that I need to verify before I can be sure that I have control of the name.

I don't want to pay the money, only to then have the name disappear from my grasp.

I have an account with Enom, registered though Dnbuy.net

Thanks everyone for your time and advice!

Manic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
...And how long should the inspection period be?

Thanks!

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
First of all, make sure that the name is in your account and "LOCK" it so it can't be transfered out. Then make a any change to the domain record i.e change of name servers and check with whois to see that it was updated. If it looks ok, then it should be yours. Of course, you should be listed as the regsitrant for the domain as well in the whois :)

Good luck!

jingle

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
if the domain is in your enom account and you are the only one that knows the password to your account, I"d say it's as safe as any domain can be. PLus as kvinsencius said, put the lock on it. When I sell a domain thru escrow.com i put the inspection period at 5 days but most buyers approve the transfer right after i move the domain into their account.

jingle

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Well as i think about it, that comment was made while I was thinking about signing up for an account directly under enom.com. I don't know if there are any other considerations when you sign up under an enom reseller.

Manic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks, kvinsencius, and jingle! :)

Another question: If the domain is NOT registered with Enom, does/can the seller push the name to my account?

...Or do I get the password to log-in at the seller's registry to transfer the domain?

...OR does my registrar have to request a transfer of the name from their registrar to my account?

I'm not sure exactly what I have to do, and would greatly appreciate any enlightment. :)

Thankyou!

jingle

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
you can only push a name into an enom account from another enom account. I don't know if you can push a name into an enom account from an enom reseller account.. i mean if you went to enom.com and set up a free account i don't know if you would be able to push a domain from your Dnbuy.net account to your enom account. I don't think so though. It would probably only work from one dnbuy.net account to another dnbuy.net account.

Also when you move a domain from one registrar to another, you pay a registration fee, which adds a year onto the renewal date.

if you buy a domain from a person who has the domain at another registrar, in most cases it's probably best to set up a free account at the registrar where the domain is at, then once you've got ownership, you can request enom to move your domain from that registrar to enom. That way, if there is any confusion during the transfer to enom, you will be able to see what's going on at both ends of the process.

However each registrar is different, so the "best" method might depend on where the domain is at.

Manic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks very much for that, jingle! :)

I will see if I can set up a free account at the other registry.

It's an excellent idea.

Manic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is this normal?...

The affilias whois and the registrar's whois both agree on who the registrant is.

But they disagree on the admin, technical, and billing contacts.

Affilias says the admin, technical and billing are the same as the registrant. But the registrar says the admin, technical and billing are all someone else in another country.

I'm begging to think all of the details may be false.

Does this mean I am going to have problems buying the name?

jingle

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't know what "affilias whois " means... shows how much i know :) But if you suspect something may be wrong, one way to protect yourself might be to ask the seller to set up a free account at Dnbuy.net or enom.com and then have the seller transfer the domain to his enom.com or Dnbuy.net account. A domain can't be moved from one registrar to another until 60 days after it's been registered or moved to another registrar. I think it's likely that any domain that is stolen is moved away from the registrar where it was at, and the person who stole it will then try to sell it as quickly as possible. If the person is able to move it to a different registrar it's unlikely that there is any problem with the ownership. You could paypal him the cost of that move in advance, which will add a year onto the domain anyway. Now if the seller takes your money and doesn't follow thru you will only be out the registration cost... It's unlikely that anyone will go to any trouble to steal a few $$.
Once the domain is at enom.com or Dnbuy.net you should not have any problem, since you are using escrow.com
well, i'm not sure if that idea was any help, or if i was even on the same topic as you were. :)

Manic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks, jingle. That is helpful.

I'll talk to my registrar.

jingle

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok, you're welcome ... was just an idea, but since I don't know much others here might have better information or ideas. Most people are sleeping right now :)

Columbia

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thank you for a good comment, kvinsencius. You are a real professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom