Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazkel

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I recently acquired the .com of a legal name as follows:

xxxxxxlaw dot com (xxxxxx is made up)

This law firm owns the .net and I wanted to get some feedback about the best way of approaching them with the .com without
coming across as spammy.

There are several firms with this name and there are no TM issues as far as I know.

Thanks.

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would not talk to them. They will find a way to get it free from you even there is no TM but since they own the net they may have a reason.

Mazkel

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would not talk to them. They will find a way to get it free from you even there is no TM but since they own the net they may have a reason.

Thanks. What are your thoughts about approaching the other law firms that don't own this particular name yet?

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It all depends on several factors:
- If the xxxx is not the name of the partner or principal then you may contact them providing that the register date of your com is BEFORE the net
- Since we don't know what xxxxx is there is a gray area which no one can give you a straight answer.

Another option would be trying to contact some of the IT consulting firms in their local city/town and offer them commission if they can help you to close a sale.

Mazkel

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It all depends on several factors:
- If the xxxx is not the name of the partner or principal then you may contact them providing that the register date of your com is BEFORE the net
- Since we don't know what xxxxx is there is a gray area which no one can give you a straight answer.

Another option would be trying to contact some of the IT consulting firms in their local city/town and offer them commission if they can help you to close a sale.

The com was regged 4 years before the net. The group is small with four attorneys focusing on environmental law.

There's also xxxxx-law.com and xxxxxlawcenter.com along with several others.

I like the idea of contacting a reputable consulting firm in their area.

Last edited:

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Call them (consulting firm) instead of sending email and pet them saying that since they know the area and local businesses they surely can help you.
Do not mention about the potential TM issue unless they bring it up and you can tell them about the 4 years difference.
Feed them the importance of dot vs dot in this type of business and offer generous commission.
Small companies like this would not pay more than a couple of thousand for the name.

Mazkel

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Call them (consulting firm) instead of sending email and pet them saying that since they know the area and local businesses they surely can help you.
Do not mention about the potential TM issue unless they bring it up and you can tell them about the 4 years difference.
Feed them the importance of dot vs dot in this type of business and offer generous commission.
Small companies like this would not pay more than a couple of thousand for the name.

Thanks. I appreciate the ideas and suggestions.

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You mentioned that there are multiple firms doing business with the same name. When it comes time to communicate with the law firm that owns the .net (or any of the others), I would emphasize that the only fair way to decide ownership is to ensure that each firm is contacted and then submit the domain to an auction. There's really no arguing with that principle of fairness, if there really are multiple firms operating with the same name.

Mazkel

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You mentioned that there are multiple firms doing business with the same name. When it comes time to communicate with the law firm that owns the .net (or any of the others), I would emphasize that the only fair way to decide ownership is to ensure that each firm is contacted and then submit the domain to an auction. There's really no arguing with that principle of fairness, if there really are multiple firms operating with the same name.

Thanks. I agree. There's at least 8 firms with that name in the US alone. I'll have to search other countries also.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would not talk to them.

best advice, imo

as your motive for acquisition can be perceived with, "intent to overprice at resell" in such a short time.

if they have the .net and they've been using it, then that means they aren't going anywhere soon

put some lite content on it, add some extra years and wait for contact.

that way if they contact you or you just can't wait and contact them, you won't be lying when you say "you currently have plans for developing this domain, however...blah, blah blah".

you would have something to "link to" as justification for asking price, other than a parked or 'for sale' page.

imo...

Mazkel

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
best advice, imo

as your motive for acquisition can be perceived with, "intent to overprice at resell" in such a short time.

if they have the .net and they've been using it, then that means they aren't going anywhere soon

put some lite content on it, add some extra years and wait for contact.

that way if they contact you or you just can't wait and contact them, you won't be lying when you say "you currently have plans for developing this domain, however...blah, blah blah".

you would have something to "link to" as justification for asking price, other than a parked or 'for sale' page.

imo...

Thanks for the timely advice. I'll let you know what transpires down the road.

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with those who suggest waiting. A few minutes ago I had a phone call from a law firm and sold a domain (presumably just like yours) painlessly. I held the domain in question for about 6 months and did nothing. The conversation was amicable, since they were approaching me -- whereas, if I had actively approached them to flip the domain, they might have reacted with annoyance.

Mazkel

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with those who suggest waiting. A few minutes ago I had a phone call from a law firm and sold a domain (presumably just like yours) painlessly. I held the domain in question for about 6 months and did nothing. The conversation was amicable, since they were approaching me -- whereas, if I had actively approached them to flip the domain, they might have reacted with annoyance.

Thanks.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

These are good ideas. One will keep learning everyday.

Cheers.

leverage........... is the biggest difference in waiting for someone to approach you.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom