Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Need help from you expert guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a domain Logiwell (.com)
My client want start a company with this domain.
Who can help me to know if Logiwell is a TM?

The .net and .org version are reg'd (logiwell consulting).

Who can help me??
Thanks.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
USPTO.gov will show whether there is a trademark registration or an application thereof; however, it does not mean that there is no use of the mark in the US or elsewhere.

Sonny Banks

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys!
So is better he launch his worldwide company with this domain or is better he use a new name?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Thanks guys!
So is better he launch his worldwide company with this domain or is better he use a new name?

It's up to him. The com/net/org are taken, I don't see any other major international TLD's active.

Sonny Banks

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's up to him. The com/net/org are taken, I don't see any other major international TLD's active.

Thanks for the help Acro :)

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I see there is a Company called "Logiwell" in Japan so they will
have rights in that name, albeit not a trademark but still they could
take UDRP or legal claim.

DG

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Even if there are TM's, the way in which your client uses the domain could be more important. There are ton's of companies with the same name and trademark but not all have a right to the domain name. Check out the TM's database and you'll be amazed.

I would be careful not to use the domain the same way an existing company is currently using the mark to avoid any potential conflicts.

Sonny Banks

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Even if there are TM's, the way in which your client uses the domain could be more important. There are ton's of companies with the same name and trademark but not all have a right to the domain name. Check out the TM's database and you'll be amazed.

I would be careful not to use the domain the same way an existing company is currently using the mark to avoid any potential conflicts.

Thanks!

flamewalker

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Agreed, usage is key. If you are clearly not using it for the same purposes as any others who have a tm/other domain extension, you will most likely be ok. Doesn't mean they won't try though.

Sonny Banks

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Agreed, usage is key. If you are clearly not using it for the same purposes as any others who have a tm/other domain extension, you will most likely be ok. Doesn't mean they won't try though.

Thanks!
I will think some days about this before take some decision about.

EnricoSchaefer

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just because someone else is using it does not mean you can not also obtain trademark rights in a different market or class of goods/services. Trademark law is complicated. There is never a "yes" or "no" answer to these questions. There is always some level of risk associated with the use of any word. The real question is whether it is an acceptable level of risk.

Obtain a trademark availability opinion and risk analysis in any word you intent to invest money in as a trademark or domain name. You want to make sure you don't have to re-brand after spending a ton of money. Nor do you want to go through the long arduous process of finding a new word with both trademark clearance and domain availability if you don't have to. Feel free to give me a call if you have any other questions.

Enrico Schaefer, Attorney
Domain Name Dispute & Trademark Attorney
enrico.schaefer [@] traverselegal.com

Sonny Banks

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just because someone else is using it does not mean you can not also obtain trademark rights in a different market or class of goods/services. Trademark law is complicated. There is never a "yes" or "no" answer to these questions. There is always some level of risk associated with the use of any word. The real question is whether it is an acceptable level of risk.

Obtain a trademark availability opinion and risk analysis in any word you intent to invest money in as a trademark or domain name. You want to make sure you don't have to re-brand after spending a ton of money. Nor do you want to go through the long arduous process of finding a new word with both trademark clearance and domain availability if you don't have to. Feel free to give me a call if you have any other questions.

Enrico Schaefer, Attorney
Domain Name Dispute & Trademark Attorney
enrico.schaefer [@] traverselegal.com

Thanks very professional analysis! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom