Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Need help. remote access to my MySQL database.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is the first I will try to manage a MySQL database remotely, so I have no idea.

I have LAMPP setup, Plesk is my management software which I find out with limitation to open large queries through phpmyadmin. I previously used cPanel and no problem with it.

I want to use a third party MySQL database software to connect remotely to my database, so I can perform quick table queries, monitoring and backup.

Questions:
How to connect remotely to my MySQL Database, I already configured the port in firewall. But still can't connect remotely. I can login to MySQL through SSH.

What do I need to configure in my Linux/Plesk/MySQL so I can connect remotely?

Thanks in advance.
EM @ KING.NET

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
First check if you can make a connection. If you have a Linux client machine you can do this by trying:

telnet [your.mysqlserver.hostname.or.ip] 3306

assuming that you have a standard MySql instance running on port 3306.

If you can't connect check if the option 'skip-networking' in your MySQL config is off. If you skip networking you will not be able to connect from a remote host.

Then you should check if your firewall allows access on port 3306.

If everything else fails, but you can make an ssh connection to you server, you can do port forwarding and bypass the firewall:

Download putty (I like the Putty-tray version)

Now configure a connection with port forwarding as follows:

1. fill in the MySql server hostname or ip address
2.click open the connection->ssh->tunnels categroy (left-hand panel)
3.choose a source port, if you are NOT running a MySQL server on your pc, just use 3306
4.for the remote port choose 'localhost:3306'
5.choose the 'remote' radio button
6.click the 'add' button

Now go back to the 'session' category in the left-hand panel and type a name to remember this connection in the text field 'Saved sessions'. Now press the 'save' button.
Now as long as you have an ssh connection to your remote host, your MySql client can be configured to 'localhost' port 3306 as your MySql host and Putty will automagically forward it to the remote database at port 3306.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You will need to add permissions for the user. By default users may only connect though localhost.
First step is to verify that you can connect to mySQL remotely. If the user does not have permission to connect mySQL will tell you.

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You will need to add permissions for the user. By default users may only connect though localhost.
First step is to verify that you can connect to mySQL remotely. If the user does not have permission to connect mySQL will tell you.

That is true. My assumption was that you were unable to connect to MySql from a remote client. But if you are able to connect but unable to authenticate you should GRANT permissions to the remote user (username@'your.hostname.or.ip' or username@'%' for connections from any remote host). Don't forget to FLUSH PRIVILEGES after setting the correct permissions.

EM @MAJ.com

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think this is the missing link. Will you please give me step by step instruction on how to add permission to the user "admin"?

I can connect locally, checked the ports 3306 open using network query tool (http://www.netstumble.com/whois-history-check/networkquery.html)

Thank you everyone, almost there.
EM @ KING.NET

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

To grant user "admin" at 123.123.123.123 (remote my IP)

mysql> flush privileges;
mysql> grant all on *.* to 'admin'@'%';
mysql> flush privileges;
mysql> exit

I'm using the wildcard % to allow all host.
is this correct?

Last edited:

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You only have to flush the privileges after setting them. The permissions that you grant or revoke will not be used until you flush the privileges or restart the MySql server.
Although the syntax is correct (it will work) I consider setting privileges for remote hosts with a public ip insecure and I prefer tunneling or port forwarding over ssh combined with local permissions instead.

EM @MAJ.com

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can you give me an example on how to do this task?

Thanks in advance,
EM @ KING.NET

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For the port forwarding you can read my first reply. I don't have the time now, but maybe later today I will write down a little tutorial.

EM @MAJ.com

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I will try the port forwarding.

cerno

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is a great free program called eskuel that has tons of mysql functionality and is super easy to install and use. It operates as a website, not ssh.

EM @MAJ.com

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I need something that I can connect through SSH so I don't have to make the necessary permission changes for MySQL users access. I tried MVL suggestion but I can't make it work, maybe a detailed step by step will help me.

Thank you in advance.
Em @ king.net

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I need something that I can connect through SSH so I don't have to make the necessary permission changes for MySQL users access. I tried MVL suggestion but I can't make it work, maybe a detailed step by step will help me.

Thank you in advance.
Em @ king.net

You just need to be able to work on a single mysql database at a time, correct? And this is for you to work on in, not for a (php) script to access it remotely, so basically just modify/create tables, insert data, etc? If so, try the link I posted. It does this, including making the connection through ssh built into the program. It really sounds like what you need, unless I'm reading it wrong.

EM @MAJ.com

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can use the tool to download my MySQL data too? I will try it.

Thank you,
EM

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can use the tool to download my MySQL data too?

And much much more :)

If you want to be able to easily change database permissions, take quick backups, etc, you also might consider installing webmin on the server if you are able. If so, I would suggest you change the default port, and set the allowed IP addresses in the webmin configuration.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom