Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Wanted: Service Need someone to move forums from /forums to the root

Status
Not open for further replies.

cursal

MomsDigest.com For Sale!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure your reasoning for moving the forum to root.
I would suggest keeping the forum where it is and use .htaccess to forward your home page to yoursite.com/forum/

This keeps the root open to branch out in the future or if you change your mind. The SEO benefits include not loosing any indexed pages of your forum.

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure your reasoning for moving the forum to root.
I would suggest keeping the forum where it is and use .htaccess to forward your home page to yoursite.com/forum/

This keeps the root open to branch out in the future or if you change your mind. The SEO benefits include not loosing any indexed pages of your forum.

Very good advice, if you move it, you will loose all indexed pages - you would get ERRORS and Warnings from Google, etc - i learned the hardway!

cursal

MomsDigest.com For Sale!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Very good advice, if you move it, you will loose all indexed pages - you would get ERRORS and Warnings from Google, etc - i learned the hardway!

Thanks ;)

I often feel the same when installing anything in root that has its own "index" page to call. Mostly dealing with CMS/Blogs/Forums/ I like to keep total control over root.

The magic of htaccess and meta tags will allow redirecting pages from the root to where I choose and keeps the bots happy when reporting back to the SE.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In your .htaccess file in your / directory put the following line

Code:
Redirect 301 /index.php http://www.guitarheroforum.com/forums/

This will redirect your page without having the waiting or click here if not redirected page. You can still leave it as a backup.

Last edited:

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
FTP into your site -> go to the /home/username/public_html directory When you FTP in you are likely going to be in the user directory so all you need to do to double click on /public_html and edit .htaccess

Edit .htaccess

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Create one

cursal

MomsDigest.com For Sale!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nothing more unless you would like to do other directing and stuff....

i.e always point your domain to www. vs non-www.
redirect files or folders to other pages.

Here is nice group things to do with that fancy new file you created ;)

Clicky

and Google is full of stuff to read about .htaccess

mulligan

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sometimes the htaccess file is 'hidden' .. There should be a 'view hidden files' in the 'View' area of your ftp client

system0

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

If you do not plan on ever developing a home page and want the forums to be the main part of the site then moving the forums to the home page is a good move.

You don't need to lose your indexed pages. In the same way you redirect google to your forums directory, you can redirect forum pages to your home page.

All you need to do is setup a 301 redirect to tell google and other search engines that your forums have been moved to a new directory or domain. I've did this a few times and I've never lost any search engine traffic.

netpro801

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
System0 knows his stuff. 301 directs is actually a great communication tool for updating se bots regarding pages that are relocated. I would also recommend a sitemap preferably xml. The sitemap can be updated and resubmitted to google via webmaster tools.

Good Luck

Thanks!

Juan
Aka NetPro801

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom