Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Negotiating when a domain has an inflated price

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilbunny

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There's a domain I'm after, and I really want it just because it means something to me personally. It isn't worth anything, though, since it's a very unpopular TLD similar to .in or .ac or something. Looking at similar domains, it appears to be worth $100 max. I would have been willing to pay up to $500 because of its meaning to me. It is priced, however, at $3500.

I was wondering if anyone would have any advice on what exactly I should say to this person? I don't want to insult them and tell them that the price is way over the mark, so I'm not quite sure how to put it tactfully and persuasively. I would love any of your input.

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There's a domain I'm after, and I really want it just because it means something to me personally. It isn't worth anything, though, since it's a very unpopular TLD similar to .in or .ac or something. Looking at similar domains, it appears to be worth $100 max. I would have been willing to pay up to $500 because of its meaning to me. It is priced, however, at $3500.

I was wondering if anyone would have any advice on what exactly I should say to this person? I don't want to insult them and tell them that the price is way over the mark, so I'm not quite sure how to put it tactfully and persuasively. I would love any of your input.

First of all, you state the domain is worth NILL and yet you are willing to pay $500.. you dont make sense at all. The fact remains, that you are interested in the domain!

if a domain is worth NILL then why consider paying $500..and move ON..... please be honest... we are not kids. The domain has catched your EYE and you want it. The SELLER knows what he wants and he is the OWNER.

if a seller has his/her domain priced at $3500 and you want to pay $500... then the only option you have as a buyer... offer $1500 - $2500

Otherwise, you are wasting his/her time.

Good Luck, it is an Insult to the owner... when you claim its worth nill!!!! when you are ready to offer $500...

:?::?:

evilbunny

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I didn't say it was worth nil. I said it was worth $100 max, from looking at similar domains. I just so happen to be willing to pay more than it is worth because it means something to me personally. If I don't buy this domain, I highly doubt they'll manage to sell it for even $xxx, but I don't think they realize that.

I saw a similar domain with the same TLD, except with fewer letters and a more generic word up on a popular domain auction site recently. It had a starting bid of $300 and it closed with nobody bidding. So, I certainly don't think it's unreasonable or insulting to say that it is worth nowhere near the asking price.

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I didn't say it was worth nil. I said it was worth $100 max, from looking at similar domains. I just so happen to be willing to pay more than it is worth because it means something to me personally. If I don't buy this domain, I highly doubt they'll manage to sell it for even $xxx, but I don't think they realize that.

I saw a similar domain with the same TLD, except with fewer letters and a more generic word up on a popular domain auction site recently. It had a starting bid of $300 and it closed with nobody bidding. So, I certainly don't think it's unreasonable or insulting to say that it is worth nowhere near the asking price.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

nametrader

Now showing : .info
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

It is the seller's wish and price tag that matters in the end, if it is way high then it is, want it take it or else move on :). Sometimes you have a chance that seller may comeback to you at a later time with the price you are after, you never know!

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've been in the same boat. For years Draggar.com was parked. No content, nothing relevant, nothing. I inquired about buying it. Hell, if you did a Google search for Draggar, 99% of the results were me.

Guess what? The owner wanted $25,000 for it. F-that!! The final straw was last year, when I started to register domains, I asked again. $30,000 (it had been at least a year since I asked). Screw it. I have the .net, .org, and .info now. It looks like he sold the .com to some Spanish company.

I"m annoyed that someone wanted that much for the .com when I was (for many years) the only person in the world who would want it (or else there would have been more search results). I've used the pseudonym Draggar for over 15 years now, yes it was very annoying, but at least I have the other TLDs and maybe, if I'm lucky, the .com will drop and I can snag it.

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've been in the same boat. For years Draggar.com was parked. No content, nothing relevant, nothing. I inquired about buying it. Hell, if you did a Google search for Draggar, 99% of the results were me.

Guess what? The owner wanted $25,000 for it. F-that!! The final straw was last year, when I started to register domains, I asked again. $30,000 (it had been at least a year since I asked). Screw it. I have the .net, .org, and .info now. It looks like he sold the .com to some Spanish company.

I"m annoyed that someone wanted that much for the .com when I was (for many years) the only person in the world who would want it (or else there would have been more search results). I've used the pseudonym Draggar for over 15 years now, yes it was very annoying, but at least I have the other TLDs and maybe, if I'm lucky, the .com will drop and I can snag it.

Ill back order it now too and we can duke it out in a few years :smilewinkgrin:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

if it's priced on an "aftermarket" venue, then submit a "feeler" offer, maybe $150

if they reply with the same price, then double your offer to $300

or, if they reply with same price or "delete" the negotiation, then move-on

or, if they drop the price, depending on how much...perhaps you have found a "flexible" seller.

you may have a chance to get the name, if you're willing to "extend" your budget and keep the negotiations going until both parties are "comfortable" with the price.

some may think a name has no particular value, but if it's "owned" already...then that fallacy is false, and you must proceed with a different understanding of that name.

all imo...

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
some may think a name has no particular value, but if it's "owned" already...then that fallacy is false, and you must proceed with a different understanding of that name.

Like I said, 99% of Google results were me, the other 1% were someone who designed a planet (in a game) named Draggar.

So, you're talking about a domain that two people would want, even TM offices gave me nothing. Very low demand, especially 7-8 years ago (when I first asked about it). (WhoIs info is inaccurate, it was registered long before 2006).

I didn't say it was worthless, but definatley not $25,000, not even a fraction.

CreationNation

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Something similar to all this happened to me yesterday. A domain me and a friend were going to develop, well, he let it expire because he said times were tough! Ugh... still baffled why he didn't let me know so I could renew it and take it over.

Anyways, I inquired with the person who snatched it up after expiration. Mind you, this is not a domain that means much to most folks, well I'll say the name: rock feed [.] com . I wanted to use it for an RSS news site for Rock music. Well the guy has some sort of plans for it and wants $5000! Doh....

So no matter how insignificant it may be to 99.5% of the people out there, I guess that other .5% are watching names like this and will jump on it if the opportunity presents itself.

I registered about 10+ domains the other day that I had been waiting on for half a year, thinking noone will everrrrr want those....

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't want to insult them and tell them that the price is way over the mark, so I'm not quite sure how to put it tactfully and persuasively. I would love any of your input.
The best would be to look at comparable reported sales (dnsaleprice, sedo etc) that you can point to the seller so he may get more reasonable with pricing.

carlton

Internet Real Estate
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
... and I really want it.

I suggest you make a substantial offer for the name (within your budget). The one thing I would avoid is throwing out a lowball offer. Nothing sours a potential negotiation more than insulting the seller with a lowball offer, or "I really want your name ... but it's not that good so give it to me cheap". Some people are in no hurry at all to sell, and if they perceive you as a lowball jerk, they will not sell the name to you ever.

If seller declines your substantial offer, thank them for their time. Let them know that's your max offer, but that they can contact you anytime if their situation changes ... that you would be glad to buy the name later. Keep the door open. His/her assessment of the name's value may change and they may decide your offer is actually pretty decent. You leave them with something significant to consider. It's no guarantee, but it beats painting yourself as lowball cheapskate who waste others' time. Just my opinion here. Good luck, :eek:k:

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

My take on it is this. Each domain purchase inquiry is a vote of confidence into the pocket of the seller. Each time you attempt to barter a lower price, the seller gains an additional vote of confidence. Anything beyond bartering, such as pleading, whining, reasoning, will just compound the damage already done.

When I want a domain, I aim for a one shot bullseye, so the seller knows I'm serious. When they counter offer, I restate that I can pay the original amount offered, I then conclude that with something along the lines of, "please feel free to send me an email if you change your mind". I then set the necessary funds aside for a predetermined length of time in the event they accept my offer, once that is done I move on to other business. I know the analogies are corny, but the strategy works very well.

Alan Glennon

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The best position to get into from a buyer's standpoint is not to care about the name. Find an alternative name that is better (there always is a better domain name!), that you care about less, and bargain for it within your budget. If it works out, great; if not, no big deal.

acesfull

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The best position to get into from a buyer's standpoint is not to care about the name. Find an alternative name that is better (there always is a better domain name!), that you care about less, and bargain for it within your budget. If it works out, great; if not, no big deal.

That's about the worst possible advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom