Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Netlox.com replacing escrow.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For sales exceeding $500, if either the buyer or seller requests to use escrow, Netlox.com will be used and the fee will be split.

I noticed the above change to the auction rules. I'm not sure when escrow.com was replaced, but has anyone ever heard of or used netlox.com?

They must be brand new, since their "about" link says:
The Company

NetLox, a product of EpicMedia.net, has been serving domain name sellers and buyers online since early 2003.

Is this also owned by the new owner of dnforum?

Upvote 0

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From the news page...

Friday, April 25, 2003
The complete NetLox.com website and business is for sale this week, please contact EpicMedia.net for details and to make an offer.

Hardly the sign of a stable business planning to be around for the long haul, IMO!

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by adoptabledomains
Is this also owned by the new owner of dnforum?

The Whois are the same, so I'd have to say "yes". Presumably that's why it's being made the mandatory escrow partner for all high-value transactions.

Hate to say it, but I'm getting more cynical about DNForum with every change and every passing day. Such a shame :(

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Edwin
Hate to say it, but I'm getting more cynical about DNForum with every change and every passing day. Such a shame :(

Join the club, Edwin! Surely, recent happenings around here weren't in the $49.95 "Platinum" brochure. :eek:
PS. I would NEVER use this NetLox thing.

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, couple the failing auctions with the very dubious software that is STILL being pushed at http://www.dnforum.com/dnsoftware.htm despite many voices in opposition (i.e. the spamming IP blaster thing) and now, it seems, even a comment from the original author asking to be paid for it (!) http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29585 and you have a really messy situation developing.

I'm very much in two minds - on the one hand, I can certainly recoup many times my $49 "investment" in becoming Platinum via the sales I can close on DNF... on the other hand, the direction (spiralling ever downwards) this site is taking means I don't want to get too closely tied up with it, leaving a gap that's hard to fill if it fails or collapses.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
From one Gemini to another ... BINGO!
I enjoy reading your "Edwinian theories", Edwin. :D
Take care.

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Except that I'm not a Gemini...

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Except that I'm not a Gemini...

Me either ... I was just referring to the "of two minds" comment.
LOL. :D
We're :cool:

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The part if have trouble with is the "will be used" part, seemingly making it mandatory.

An escrow service is supposed to provide confidence that it's a neutral and safe third party. a buyer might not feel safe using either a site that's only established in "early 2003", especially it's for sale or under new ownership as stated in another post.

On other parts of this conversation, does it seem the total posting traffic itself has been dwindling? It seems that way to me.

ajiabs

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

NameGuy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hope he bought plenty of liability insurance too.

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
There is no way to enforce the use of a 3rd party escrow service with zero reputation. This is just blatant promotion of one's own business. We can choose not to use it - no way to enforce it in a private transaction.

I just finished my 5th large transaction with Escrow.com - this time as a buyer (well over $1,000) and I would fully recommend it.

NameCaster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, couple the failing auctions with the very dubious software that is STILL being pushed at http://www.dnforum.com/dnsoftware.htm despite many voices in opposition (i.e. the spamming IP blaster thing) and now, it seems, even a comment from the original author asking to be paid for it (!) http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29585 and you have a really messy situation developing.

I'm very much in two minds - on the one hand, I can certainly recoup many times my $49 "investment" in becoming Platinum via the sales I can close on DNF... on the other hand, the direction (spiralling ever downwards) this site is taking means I don't want to get too closely tied up with it, leaving a gap that's hard to fill if it fails or collapses.

Very well spoken Edwin. I couldn't agree with you more.
Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom