Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

NEW HERE: Trademark Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

domain-names

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am new and followed the direction of another whom maybe I should not have. I ended up purchasing some domain names that do contain names such as: Amazon, MySpace and eBay (Ex: AmazonSell.com, MySpaceTube.net, eBayConnect.com).

Should I just ditch these domains and others like them and relinquish these over to these companies? I meant them to be used to sell as independent stores under these companies or whatever. I have not developed them or used them, but am I still in violation. If so I do not want anything to do with that.

Please give me KIND and useful advice.

Thanks in Advance,:faint:

interactx

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We have some TM domains that we purchased for the same reason. Not to violate any trademark, but to promote the company, to be used by dealerships or local outlets. Seemed like a good idea for the TM company to let their stores promote the merchandise.

The thing is, there are cybersquatters who set up websites hoping to syphon off traffic from the TM company, and of course they take a dim view of this since it doesn't help the company and could dilute the mark. This will get their attention for sure.

On the other hand, if the TM company is bothered by you simply owning it, they will let you know. Then you will have to turn it over, most likely. If they are parked on some pay-per-click directory it may cause a little problem.

Just owning the domain isn't the big problem. Sedo and Afternic have hundreds of TM domains for sale, so the general idea of selling the TM domains doesn't seem to be an issue that is worth pursuing for them.

I'm not an attorney, not a cybersquatter, and don't condone infringing or diluting TMs. Just sharing our experience on the matter. Hope it is helpful or somehow enlightening. :smile:

domain-names

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Great info. So kind of you taking the time to help me!

If anyone else wants to chime in, please do. I need to learn as much as I can.

Thanks Again interactx!

ClickEarn

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Stay AWAY from all "High Profile" names that contain a trademarked
name. All you will end up with is a legal headache

No company will buy them... They will just sick their legal dept. on you!

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The domains are probably not worth the headache. You can setup similar sites without using there Tm in the domain name.

interactx

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
TM domains is a subject under debate. It is true the legal department of any corporation is much better heeled than you or I, so if they want it they can get it, no matter how innocent your intentions.

We took a chance and contacted the company and they said they had no interest, so I think this is pretty good grounds to be able to sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom