Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

New Interview - Donny Simonton of Parked

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParkQuick.com

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
His sparkling personality comes through even stronger in person than on the boards. Here's a new interview with Donny that takes three parts, because of YouTube 10 minute limits for each video.

Donny talks about life after arbitrage, the future of domain monetization, and how to fix Yahoo.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Zaan

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How about a video/interview about choosing good natural traffic domain names?

petrosc

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
excellent thanks for sharing

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I love Donny, I'm gonna nominate him for the coolest parking company dude of the century..seriously! :eek:k:

Zaan

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Do you not get DNF$ for posting on these forums? Why am I not accumulating anything?

NameGuy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Interesting interview.

He mentioned there is a switch to put the custom content on the landing page or on the results page or both which is something I have been wanting for awhile. So I take another look and cannot find this switch anywhere. Is this available?

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Good interview... Learned a few things.

I cant get over the Fishing boat conversion, how Yahoo allows advertisers to choose a conversion based on a boat sale online... Incredible.

CyrusL

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good interview... Learned a few things.

I cant get over the Fishing boat conversion, how Yahoo allows advertisers to choose a conversion based on a boat sale online... Incredible.

It's normal. Google does the same. You need to understand that conversion rates are only compared in their algorithm on a per-advertiser basis. That is, if your traffic converts 1% on a per-sale basis and "Domainer B" has traffic that converts 5% on a newsletter sign-up, you won't necessarily have a lower traffic quality score than Domainer B. The traffic quality is determined by comparing the same advertiser across different domains.

It's not like I could advertise an impossible-to-convert offer and it would suddenly kill everyone's quality scores and earnings. Donny didn't do a good job of making that clear.

I've said this before a bunch of times, but if we all spent some time on the other end of Google and Yahoo (advertising rather than publishing), there would be a lot fewer misconceptions about how their networks operate.

Advertisers are really on our side, not against us. The sooner domainers as a group drop the "us versus them" mentality, the sooner progress in the marketplace will happen.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As long as they all keep advertising I will hold hands and sing kumbaya with them :peace:

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
what does that mean bro? they say that in the ali movie.

Well, to hold hands and sing kumbaya with someone is to be happy & peaceful like the song is usually sung together in groups of happy singing peaceful people...and it's often used in the slang context of doing it "just to make the other person feel good" as in...Ohh I hurt your feelings? You want me to hold your hand and sing kumbaya with you so you feel better? Or something like that....

Ironic usage
Though the song was originally associated with unity and closeness, it is now often referenced sarcastically to connote a blandly pious and naively optimistic view of the world and human nature.

Quoted from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumbaya

Zaan

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
what does that mean bro? they say that in the ali movie.

"....Kumbaya my lord, Kumbaya...Kumbaya my lord, Kumbaya."

It's just a happy religious song, dude.

"Oh Lord, kumbaya. Also spelled kum ba yah, cumbayah, kumbayah, and probably a few other ways. If you look in a good songbook you'll find the word helpfully translated as "come by here," with the note that the song is "from Angola, Africa." The "come by here" part I'll buy. But Angola? Someone's doubtin', Lord, for the obvious reason that kumbaya is way too close to English to have a strictly African origin. More likely, I told my assistant Jane, it comes from some African-English pidgin or creole--that is, a combination of languages. (A pidgin is a linguistic makeshift that enables two cultures to communicate for purposes of trade, etc.; a creole is a pidgin that has become a culture's primary language.) Sure enough, when we look into the matter, we find this conjecture is on the money. Someone's grinnin', Lord, kumbaya.

Kumbaya apparently originated with the Gullah, an African-American people living on the Sea Islands and adjacent coastal regions of South Carolina and Georgia. (The best known Sea Island is Hilton Head, the resort area.) Having lived in isolation for hundreds of years, the Gullah speak a dialect that most native speakers of English find unintelligible on first hearing but that turns out to be heavily accented English with other stuff mixed in. The dialect appears in Joel Chandler Harris's "Uncle Remus" stories, to give you an idea what it sounds like. In the 1940s the pioneering linguist Lorenzo Turner showed that the Gullah language was actually a creole consisting of English plus a lot of words and constructions from the languages of west Africa, the Gullahs' homeland. Although long scorned as an ignorant caricature of English, Gullah is actually a language of considerable charm, with expressions like (forgive my poor attempt at expressing these phonetically) deh clin, dawn (literally "day clean"); troot mout, truthful person ("truth mouth"), and tebble tappuh, preacher ("table tapper").

And of course there's kumbayah. According to ethnomusicologist Thomas Miller, the song we know began as a Gullah spiritual. Some recordings of it were made in the 1920s, but no doubt it goes back earlier. Published versions began appearing in the 1930s. It's believed an American missionary couple taught the song to the locals in Angola, where its origins were forgotten. The song was then rediscovered in Angola and brought back here in time for the folksinging revival of the 50s and 60s. People might have thought the Gullahs talked funny, but we owe them a vote of thanks. Can you imagine sitting around the campfire singing, "Oh, Lord, come by here"?"

That should answer the question.

QuantumBeam

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nice interview, thanks for sharing....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom