Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

New or Not? " .com.cn "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any info on this sub tld?

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Biggedon .com.cn is not new.. just new to anyone aoutside of China...

I think they already have around 200,000 reded...you can register .com.cn starting today.

Come March .CN will be introduced..those will be much more valuable ..

Both are official Cjhinese domain extesions..it really is as simple as.. OK what do you want

mysite.com.cn (Now)

or

mysite.cn ! (March)

The ONLY thing I have been wondering about..what if in March the powers that be have a "sunrise" for owners of .com.cn !

if you own mysite.com.cn..what if they give those owners say 15 days to grab the mysite.cn ? !

Not saying they will..just something for consideration.

Unlikely...but..makes you wonder..

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It shows a great marketing plan was conceived.
introduce the subdomain(third level .com.cn) first, then come back and release the second level tld (.cn).
Therefore, if you regged " a.com.cn" then they release ".cn"

the person with ".cn" could not subdomain their tld to "a.com.cn"
because it was previously regged. If you get my point,
which is the most valuable?

options

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by biggedon
the person with ".cn" could not subdomain their tld to "a.com.cn"
because it was previously regged. If you get my point,
which is the most valuable?

It would be interesting to register "com.cn" and then use it
to make chaos with subdomains.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A snippet of my comments from another thread (you could lump dot cn in there as well):

Couple of things that just don't seem right about these ".com.cn" (.cn) names. The marketing of these names have been about "attracting a large Chinese population with a '.com.cn" site. Forgive me for appearing to be a bit crass, but I don't think the chinese will think to type-in ..."recipes.com.cn" to go to a "recipe" site.... It will be something like "$&%&^#*&.com.cn" or "hungsyshe.com.cn"--roman character translation of recipe.

Until they figure out a real solution with the "Asian Character" problem, I think it's utterly disgraceful to market a "Roman-Character" chinese domain name...It's actually very laughable to say the least. My guess is the powers to be are trying to "make" global companies and domainers buy more names they don't need.

Some words of advice:

If you do manage to build a web site to attract this "large chinese audience" at the very least it should be tailored to the chinese which means you best not have "roman characters" on the site, otherwise you might as well flush your money down the toilet. Global companies with chinese related sites spend billions each year to insure the sites they create for this market "work". What works in the U.K or US doesn't necessarily work for the chinese.

izopod

TexasFilly

RBS consultant
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Don

I have 'not yet' reg'd any of the .cn names, although i know a handful of folks who have.. here's some info i have on the .cn

goodluck

China's Internet Land Rush Begins December 15
Monday December 9, 2:53 pm ET
First Time Entities Outside Of China Allowed To Own .CN Domain Names

BOSTON, MA--(INTERNET WIRE)--Dec 9, 2002 -- Starting Sunday, December 15, businesses outside of China will be allowed to register Chinese domain names, under a newly liberalized policy. Domain names will be available on a first-come, first-served basis from accredited domain name registrars.
ADVERTISEMENT

"The .CN domain is ideal for two types of US businesses," according to Thomas Barrett, CEO of EnCirca, "US businesses expecting to conduct business with the People's Republic of China and US businesses that target the fast-growing Asian-American ethnic group.

Companies worldwide can now participate in China's booming economy via the Internet, under this new liberalized policy. China is the world's largest country in terms of population and the second largest, after the US, in terms of Internet users. According to Netratings, Inc., there are currently over 56 million Internet users in China. China is expected to surpass the US in Internet users within the next 2-3 years. With China's entrance into the World Trade Organization, international trade is also expected to accelerate.

"China will be leading the next wave of Internet growth." says Barrett. "Any US business who does e-commerce with international customers today, should be formulating their e-commerce strategy for China now."

Asian-Americans are one of the fast growing minority groups in the country, according to a 2001 study by the Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund. In addition, Asian-Americans have the highest Internet use of any ethnic group: over 70%, according to a Pew Internet Project called "Asian-Americans and the Web: The Young and the Connected."

EnCirca is accepting no-cost pre-registrations now at www.encirca.com. The available domains will be one of three types: com.cn, net.cn and org.cn. Since the most desirable names will be registered first, businesses should ensure they apply early in order to get their desired domain name.

About EnCirca, Inc.

EnCirca, Inc. is a Massachusetts-based accredited domain name registrar formed in 2001. It provides registrations services for trademark owners, small businesses and consumers worldwide. In addition to .cn, EnCirca also supports .com, .net, .org, .biz, .info and .us. Visit www.encirca.com for more information.

Note to Editors: Interviews can be scheduled with Mr. Barrett by calling EnCirca at +1.781-942-9975 or sending an e-mail to [email protected]. Visit EnCirca's website at www.encirca.com for more information.

Voice: 781-942-9975
Email: [email protected]

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it seems like a big sucker campaign. trying to boost the value of a country code tld by association with .com,net and org.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"and US businesses that target the fast-growing Asian-American ethnic group"

What a suck.

Like " All asian-americans, please go to com.cn , no sir, you're not allowed to go to .com, i think your heritage is asian-american so could you please stay with your internet color, see we created it especially for you"

Geez - racism wrapped into promo blahblah.

As if any "ethnic group" would want/need their own extension, geez. What's next ? A .black ? .com.indian ?

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
izopod : I'm strongly agree with you.
They will use their native script character.

M

mole

Originally posted by .com.net.org
izopod : I'm strongly agree with you.
They will use their native script character.

We'll see if IDNA ever takes off.

The internet is evolving in new and fascinating ways. Best thing is always to keep up with the trends. That's the way of the world today.

For newbies, I recommend you use the google NEWS search facility, type in 'domain names' or similar, to keep abreast of the latest. Surprisingly, better than this Moreover news feed thingy which every web site seems to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom