Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

New Scam Scheme - Transfer Requests

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomainMagnate

Domain Magnate™
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, not quite new I suppose, but I recently got a few of these.

Just received 3 emails for my LLLL.com domains at namecheap to confirm that I would like to transfer them to some other registrar. I didn't request any transfers for these and the 3 came in together at the same time. I received 3 emails from NameCheap with transfer-approval.com link where I can accept or deny the transfer. Of course I canceled these quickly.

What I don't understand is how did they get the epp codes for the domains? I think you can't request a transfer without the epp codes.

So anyway, beware. Make sure you don't approve a transfer you didn't request :)

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You can request a transfer with EPP codes, e.g. when you request a Transfer-In from GoDaddy, a request is sent out to the current registrant instantly. They will eventually need to type in the EPP code though, so as long as you don't give away AUTH codes or unlock your domains, you should be pretty safe.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
just take it as interest in your domains :)

smashfactory

Queen of Domainland
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i got one the other day- i guess they are hoping they hit on a brand new domainer who thinks this is what you are supposed to do ;-(

gingeman

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yeah I've had a couple - actually when I have won a couple of names at snap, a request for transfer has followed in the next week a couple of times, when no transfer should have ever been requested. I just figured it was somebody trying their luck and ignored them.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I got a few persistant ones that were from amen.fr asking to transfer some of my 3 letter .biz names to Network Solutions.
I called NS and let them know that someone was initiating illegal transfers from their NS account (and told them who it was) and they just said "ignore it"....couldn't have cared less...

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You have to watch out that the link in the email to cancel does not take you to a page made to look like the registrar login page for them to try and steal your password

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I got a few persistant ones that were from amen.fr asking to transfer some of my 3 letter .biz names to Network Solutions.
I called NS and let them know that someone was initiating illegal transfers from their NS account (and told them who it was) and they just said "ignore it"....couldn't have cared less...
Funny you mention then, I've had a couple of similar transfer requests coming from French companies via OVH registrar. Do French people understand that registered domains are not something you can just pick away like fruits off the trees ? ;)

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i got one the other day- i guess they are hoping they hit on a brand new domainer who thinks this is what you are supposed to do ;-(

This is true. There are some folks out there following drop auctions and whois changeovers, then launching fake transfer notices. Think twice about just flying through any domain based admininstration emails, I've had one close call on a busy day.

kevmacmeh

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The scammers seem to be tracking sales on DNF and requesting transfers for names you expect to be transferred (e.g. i sold a name and the buyer wanted it transferred and said so in the thread, so the scammers must have seen this)

I nearly fell for it.

Watch out guys!

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Another reason to keep transactions in private.

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The scammers seem to be tracking sales on DNF and requesting transfers for names you expect to be transferred (e.g. i sold a name and the buyer wanted it transferred and said so in the thread, so the scammers must have seen this)

I nearly fell for it.

Watch out guys!

Agree they see threads on DNF and send mails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom