Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

New split "sales" forum is NO GOOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I find myself flipping back and forth between threads that are almost the same.

One is a clear asking price, the other is "make an offer" THEN we have "auction". All for selling single domain names!

Can we at least consolidate back to the original two? Not a lot of "fixed price" domains aren't willing to budge; most "taking offers" sellers have a price in mind that they're willing to sell for.

Really, what is the benefit to having these two new forums?

Upvote 0
T

tekz999

I prefer adult sales, fixed price, offer, idn sales, traffic names, auctions ALL in one.

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
tekz999 said:
I prefer adult sales, fixed price, offer, idn sales, traffic names, auctions ALL in one.

Adult, idn, and traffic should be separated as there very few people that are interested in adult, idn, as well as traffic names at the same time.

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a real pain having to jump between forums.

I would like to see auctions, offers, and fixed price in one forum myself. I can see the rational for splitting the forums; it just doesn't work practically IMO.

Adult and external links in separate forums.

- Rob

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
...sellers have a price in mind that they're willing to sell for. Really, what is the benefit to having these two new forums?

Force them to "spit it out" (the price) I guess...

I use mostly the "todays post" link for long time now. The only thing that disturbs me, it does not show real title of the posts in the adult section but "***Adult Content". C'mon, what we are - monks ? Not to mention there does not exist any "bad" words per se, what makes it bad is only in our heads, otherwise is just few syllables, a sound, a vibration of the air...

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I actually like the "divorce" very much: as a buyer, I now only browse the "Fixed Price" forum, and save a lot of time.

B33R

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
I actually like the "divorce" very much: as a buyer, I now only browse the "Fixed Price" forum, and save a lot of time.
Me too. I spend some time in offers but I'm mostly looking in fixed prices.

I hate the whole make an offer thing:
"Make an offer"
"$50"
"Too low - I want $5,000!"

I'm not psychic!

SirSpider

Trying to Retire!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
Exactly!

Jonathan

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I really like having them separate as well.

Most people who are looking for offers are basically trying to get appraisals, like DCG said.

People should at least put a fixed price, and then people can make offers from there. Too many new folks were just asking for offers with unrealistic expectations.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
denny007 said:
...I use mostly the "todays post" link for long time now....

Me too but even more so using todays posts all the time and never look at the many seperate forums. Have been doing it that way for ages. That way I can easily see every post. Also scan the Mouseover Alt Tag (a valuable feature) to quickly see if the post is worth reading or not without clicking on it.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I feel we should do away with offers section and either make it a fixed price or an auction only. I think if you don't know what you want to sell something for, it's either an auction or it should be an appraisal.

any thoughts on this?

-=DCG=-

NostraDomainus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DotComGod said:
I feel we should do away with offers section and either make it a fixed price or an auction only. I think if you don't know what you want to sell something for, it's either an auction or it should be an appraisal.

any thoughts on this?

-=DCG=-
I feel this may only inhibit DNF business - not increase it - as many people sit on domains, and true enough, without knowing the value (which is subjective in many ways anyways), wait to see what someone may offer. It gives some (ex: me :)) hope you will "win the lottery" with any given domain.

I personally have most all names for sale under "make offer" - and sure enough, without having a price in mind - was offered more than I expected for a thought-of mediocre domain, and quickly accepted it.

One domainer's garbage is another domainer's gold.

I roll with 'Make Offers' and set some prices, and know I want to sell certain names, and keep others, while changing my mind every minute as to which 1's they are or will be from 1 day to the next - but ready to accept "Offers I can't Refuse" which I could never prognosticate without undercutting speculation in the market by setting a below market value (based on my own ignorance).

This is just some of my thoughts, and I could go on, but I would be interested to see what others had to say (plus it's lunchtime and I'm starving ;-)).

If others find value in keeping it, I would argue it's better to be Inclusive than Exclusive to the differences.

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Adam, that's the way to go. The offers section should be merged with the auction section, because there is no real difference between these two:

Many sales threads which are open for offers actually end up being an auction, because somebody posts an offer and then other buyers post their highest bids, too, or send them via PM. Sellers will sell at the highest price they are offered or they set a reserve price and don't sell if they don't get the offer they are looking for. On the other hand, many state BIN prices. It's like eBay. Conclusion: It's an auction.

Therefore we should have one section with fixed prices and one with auctions.

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NostraDomainus, You will still be able to get offers/bids in the auction section. But it makes no sense to have both an auction section and one with domain sales that are open for offers. It's the same.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DotComGod said:

any thoughts on this?

-=DCG=-

Agree 100%. It makes no sense to ask for offers when the seller has little idea about its value and is mostly hoping for a deep pocket end-user making a big offer. The least they can do is state a minimum price or price range perhaps.

That is why I rarely even look at make offer threads, and actually making an offer or even asking for a price is even more rare for me.

NostraDomainus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dodo1 said:
The offers section should be merged with the auction section...

Therefore we should have one section with fixed prices and one with auctions.
I agree with that dodo1 - but that is not what DCG said:

he said "do away with"

2 different things.

To clarify dodo1 - I would keep and merge, not "do away with".

:)

SirSpider

Trying to Retire!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DotComGod said:
...I think if you don't know what you want to sell something for, it's either an auction or it should be an appraisal.

any thoughts on this?

-=DCG=-
I have often wondered about the differences (similarities?) between "auctions" and "offers." They do seem about the same - with the "auctions" being a bit more structured.

Merging "offers" into "auctions" seems to be a sensible thing to do.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I usually just go right to the Fixed Price forum now....
If you post a BIN and consider offers....you haven't alienated any of the market.

I don't have a problem with the Offers section being there.
Without a BIN I think looking for offers is because you are afraid you might sell under value or over value and alienate buyers......So really it is an attempt at appraising a name.....

I like the new system a lot.....I spend a lot less time in PM's.

Just my humble opinion...

Prosperous

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Steen said:
Can we at least consolidate back to the original two
Agreed.

SirSpider said:
I have often wondered about the differences (similarities?) between "auctions" and "offers." They do seem about the same - with the "auctions" being a bit more structured.
Some differences:

Offers:
- Seller can decide yes or no to any offer received
- Depending on seller's out-lined preferences, offers can be made in public or in private (PM, email)
Auctions:
- Public (posted in thread) winning bid or BIN-purchase is binding

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

any thoughts on this?

-=DCG=-

Hell yea, i'm on DNF to get a bargin, and love to just glance and see if they are selling in my prce range rather then doing the guess-game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom