Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

new tld .contractors

visit

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I registered my first.contractors domain "global(dot)contractors"
What do you think about this name?

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I felt this extension was the most boring out of the batch this week, I think of the first 10 I tried to input, all of them were reserved by the registry.

You did well on the ones you registered, considering they weren't reserved like the limited amount of keywords in this extension.

The one I did find Demolition contractors, has a $250 annual renewal, while the .com sits parked. Just not worth it.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree that this is a stretch in terms of success. However, I think more geo specific names would do well. But, that depends on the market and how soon (or slow) that the mainstream consumer knows of the existence about this (and for most of them for that matter).

When getting into these new gTLD's, I think the key is patience and being prepared to sit on the name for quite some time.

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The GEO names of large cities are $250 per year renewal as well, this is meant specifically for end users.

They are really reserving a lot of the top names, and then some. You would know General Contractors, even Gen Contractors is reserved.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The GEO names of large cities are $250 per year renewal as well, this is meant specifically for end users.
Isn't that the market we all want to attract? the end user?

I have seen countless prime city names available but have not pulled the trigger on any of them. They do look appealing and make a great spot on keyword search term.

Again, I think you would have to sit on these for quite sometime before such a tld becomes mainstream. And I am not sure many end user "contractors" are even aware of the extension let alone domain names in general.

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Assuming these vanity extensions gain traction (and aftermarket value, which doesn't automatically follow from website use), contractors will still probably be the last group to come around and buy domains for a premium.

If you work with your hands all day, you're bound to be skeptical about paying for something intangible -- whether it's .COM or .CONTRACTORS. At least with .COM, it's a familiar, known commodity.

Tedgeman

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Look people are lazy on the keyboard, so it begs who is going to take the time to type in something as long as .c o n t r a c t o r s. It s stupid from the word go. The only decent ones are reserved.

loupe

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Look people are lazy on the keyboard, so it begs who is going to take the time to type in something as long as .c o n t r a c t o r s. It s stupid from the word go. The only decent ones are reserved.

So the smart ones would type www contractors com instead of (word) contractors ;-)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yup, and the browsers and googles of the world recognize the laziness.

That is why they offer completion matching or auto complete. Plus, no matter the name and extension, once you type it in the browser, it is stored in your history and cache until you clear them.

Point is, it is easier to find something and it is incredibly easy to recall it simply by typing the first few letters in your browser.

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
its easier typing www.jobs.contractors than typing in www.contractorzforhireinnewyorkcity.com. and as you guys mentioned above, auto-suggestions will auto-populate for the user as they are typing. when having "www.jobs.contractors" in such scenario, thats way better than seeing "www.contractorzfor......com". its just too general. allowing such gtdl with keyword extensions would seem feasible for the user and search engines. .com, .net seems too saturated nowadays. yes, they are still king and always will be, but as more crap is being put on the internet from every 9-year old, there is just waaaaaaayyyy too much info. having them categorized in industries and specific topics would be helpful for the servers and users. too new to tell, but thats what i predict.

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just woke up, I had a weird nightmare. It was about, a lot of new domain extensions, some 10+ characters, made no sense at all. I thought a domain name was meant to make it EASIER for people to find you on the web, hey, why doesn't a business just brand on "dshdsjhsdnnv.com," Google will see it and it would be cached, same concept. Seriously people, end users would be better off using their IP address than a .contractors(I spelled it wrong and it didn't even come up in my spell checker as a suggested word.) But hey, to each his own.

visit

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You are so right "MobileDesigner" :eek:k:

GoPoppy

GoPoppy!
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So is it better to type in medicalcontractors.com or medical.contractors? The latter is actually 3 less keystrokes...

I do agree some of these gtld's will probably sit until the .com's get so saturated with weird spellings and abbreviations that it makes sense to move forward. JMHO

Cheers!

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom