Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

NEW Tsunami

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyat11

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
check out cnn.com or on tv
POST WHAT YOU THINK WILL HAPPEN

Dnforum Should Support New Tsunami

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Huge earthquake prompts tsunami fears
Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:44 PM GMT
Printer Friendly | Email Article | RSS

JAKARTA (Reuters) - A massive 8.2 magnitude earthquake has struck off the coast of Sumatra close to where a quake triggered a tsunami that left nearly 300,000 people dead or missing across Asia, residents and officials say.

The latest quake had the potential to cause a "widely destructive tsunami" and authorities should take "immediate action," including evacuating coastlines within 600 miles (1,000 km) of the epicentre, the Pacific tsunami warning centre said.

One official said any possible tsunami could be headed toward the Indian Ocean island of Mauritius.

There were no immediate reports of casualties, but Indonesia's Metro TV quoted a resident on the island of Nias, off western Sumatra, as saying buildings there were damaged.

"Things are quite bad right now," the resident said. "There is much damage. People are running in panic. Many people are also trapped."

He did not elaborate on what he meant by people were "trapped".

Tens of thousands of people across northern and western Sumatra fled their homes and drove or ran to higher ground, TV and residents said.

Thailand urged people living along parts of its west coast, including tourists on the resort island of Phuket, to evacuate while Malaysia issued a warning to coastal residents.

"About 3,000 to 4,000 tourists and locals have been evacuated from Patong and Kamala beaches to higher places," Phuket deputy governor Wichai Buapradit told Reuters.

"We've told them to take their valuable belongings and to go to higher places," he added.

Authorities in India's Andaman and Nicobar islands, north of the epicentre, issued a preliminary tsunami warning as did the federal government in New Delhi. Sirens were ringing in the eastern Sri Lankan town of Trincomalee and many coastal areas were evacuated, residents said.

NO REPORTS OF TSUNAMI

Indonesia's information minister said there were no reports of a tsunami along the coast.

"There is no report of any damage," the Andaman and Nicobar islands' Lieutenant-Governor Ram Kapse told Reuters by telephone. "We have issued an initial warning. If there is any problem, we will evacuate."

A spokesman for the U.S. Geological Survey told Reuters the quake struck 125 miles (200 km) west northwest of Sibolga, Sumatra or 880 miles northwest of the Indonesian capital of Jakarta at 5:09 p.m. on Monday, close to where the 9.0 magnitude quake struck in December.......................
.................But the Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre said the quake had the "potential to generate a widely destructive tsunami in the ocean or seas near the earthquake".

"Authorities can assume the danger has passed if no tsunami waves are observed in the region near the epicentre within three hours of the earthquake," it added.
Looks like not this time - certainly hope not, I have friends doing relief work in Galle on the south west coast of Sri Lanka.

andyat11

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ya I know but cnn etc was late last time (december)

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"Authorities can assume the danger has passed if no tsunami waves are observed in the region near the epicentre within three hours of the earthquake,"
That was what I spotted, so that timeline is past now - I sure hope so I'm in South West India next week!

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I communicated a lot of information as of 1130EST today to various sites and blogs about this - just in case this was to be a repeat, but so far it appears that there is no similar situation of a catastrophic Tsunami being generated by the quake.

There are, of course, casualties of the quake, but early reports appear to indicate that it is nowhere near the level of the December 26 event.

Knock on wood...

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom