Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Newbie Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneguy

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi guys ... wonder if anyone could enlighten me ...
I'm still very raw to domain reselling so go easy on me okay ..

Have read numerous posts and thread where each domain's value is somewhat related to its Google and Overture popularity - so how does one find out how popular a domain is at google or overture ?

Using the domain "register.com" as an example, what's the rating at the Goggle and Overture ?

For Goggle, do I just type in "register.com" as the search term ?

For Overture, do I just type in "register.com" as the search term ?

Or is there additional parameters to this ....

... been seeing stuff like .... Overture 6547 p/m .... what does that mean ?

Thanks ,,,

oneguy

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sorry ... I have got the google toolbar installed ...
so does that mean that if I enter the search term "register.com" and the total results shown is the figure that is usually quoted here in dnforum ?

system0

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
PR stands for page rank
a lot of members here list how popular a domain is by stating the number of results by google but this can be very misleading

for example, if your domain was funky banana, they would enter funky banana in google and quote the number of results, but nearly everyone quotes results without the " wrapper round

Ciqala

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Googles only use is as a benchmark to how popular the phrase is i.e. if its used by many people...

i.e. if i registered dogcollars.com and i wanted to see if people on the net used the phrase dog collars then i would type in "dog collars" (the quotes means that the words appear together exactly as typed so it doesnt just find a page with both words on it but used seperately). if you get a high number then it just means that its a popular term so may have some chance of people searching for it or even typing it directly into their browser.

Same goes for overture. except you need to go to
http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/
typing in this will show how many times people searched for those terms in the last calendar month. high numbers = good sign of traffic if you get listed high in search engines. again quotes makes it a complete term and putting in the whole domain i.e. dogcollars.com can see if people are searching for that exact name. the numbers will always be lower than just the keyword but if people are typing it into the search engine there is a chance that more people are typing it in directly as well.

Another good tool is
www.marketleap.com/publinkpop

this will search the major search engines to find out how many links a domain has so you can see if it may have existing traffic.

none of these are an exact science though so should be taken with a pinch of salt. and these are only helpful to you. you'll rarely ever find it helps you sell a domain to quote these figures as everyone knows they are fairly innacurate or based on at least some element of guesswork.

hope this helps you out a little

Ciq

oneguy

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information CIQ and fonzerelli_79
... certainly learnt something new today !

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The Google Toolbar only works in MSIE, so it won't work for me... I use Mozilla as my browser. (More standards-compliant, lets you disable popups, and helps bust up the unhealthy MS monopoly.)

Chelsea

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks ever so much for this question!
I did not know either and always wondered, so I have learned something new today.
Chase

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom