Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Wanted: Service Newbie - Search Engine Ranking

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoZero62

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This post probably belongs in the Traffic forum, but for some reason I cannot post there today. This is kind of a newbie question however, so maybe it is ok. My question is this; is it possible to compete with the “Big Fish” websites for search engine placement? Example, I am designing a website for a local hotel called the “Clarion Inn” If you google for “Clarion Inn” or “Clarion Inn Fayetteville” you get hundreds “hotel finders” pages listed. Since one of the hotel manager’s top concerns is search engine placement, is it possible to “Out Rank” these sites to gain a front page listing? I know how to use meta tags, and keywords, But is that enough to beat the “Big Fish” when this local site is just a “small fry”? Thanks for your input/tips! I am just trying to determine the feasibility of attempting a page one ranking for my sites. Thanks again!
Randy

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RealNames said:
P.S. I can likely get that done for you. Send me a PM for more details if you wish.
I suppose you are doing this for free, right?

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Randy..

Meta tags and Keywords are not enough..you also need quality inbound links.
Also dont work for one keyword but hundreds of keyword pages...thats a bit of a problem because you are designing specically for one Hotel... But you can still design hundreds of pages on the Clarion Inn using a variety of kewyords..the idea is that you are spread out all over the se's ..so you are gathering traffic from multiple keyword searches instead of placing al your eggs in one basket (one keyword)
here is a start ..these are keywords people are searching for to find "clarion inn"

http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/

The problem is there arent that many monthly searches...under10K ..and google is showing 1.7million pages of results..competion.. seems like an awful lot of work for such a small amount of searches..

you may be better off telling your Boss to fork over a few bucks for google adwords or a Yahoo directory listing

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NeoZero62 said:
I know how to use meta tags, and keywords, But is that enough ...
Search engine optimization is WAY MUCH MORE than those 2 metatags. And that's why we have people charging at least hundreds just for doing that. ;)

And yes, as RealNames has pointed out, targeting a smaller, niche market is always easier.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Randy, I would strongly suggest you submit your web site to google local for review.. http://local.google.com/help/faq_local.html (find the yellow pages email address)

This is a beta search that google is working on.. if you can get listed that way you should get pickedup by many other sources.

I have no idea whether they will list it...just that it probably well worth submitting too

NeoZero62

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help and tips! I know have a starting point :)

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RealNames said:
Just wondering why you are asking about that?
Because if not, it will be tossed as solicitations are not allowed here in non-advertising sections.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
Because if not, it will be tossed as solicitations are not allowed here in non-advertising sections.

So let me get this straight Nameslave, I was not soliciting anyone but he first asked for some assistance. Was not sure if I would charge or not for it, but likely free advice at first unless he optionally wants to pay for more in depth stuff and SEO work.

Anyway, he PM'd back saying in part "....First off I need to know how much you charge, etc....." so does this mean we are not allowed to answer that question unless it is always a 100% free service? In other words, if a member also offers a paid product or service he is not permitted to reply or mention it (even via PM) unless the original thread was an advertising forum (which of course it would not be in an ad forum in the first place), is that what the policy is?

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
that's a grey area, basically, this member was asking for help and RealNames offered his services, I think if they work it out via PM there should be no problem...

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I feel a bit ... awkward that I need to further explain what seems to be a fairly simple forum etiquette.

In some stricter forums out there, RealNames' post (#2 above, the P.S. part) will DEFINITELY be tossed without warning and his membership suspended at least temporarily. The common understanding is: a member is NOT allowed to mention his own products or services under ANY circumstances in non-advertising sections; and unless there is a request in the "wanted" sections, offers to help even via PM will be taken as SPAM. A LOT of established forums out there are enforcing such rules (of course, your friendly DNForum has always been a bit lax in this area), and I THOUGHT RealNames is seasoned (forum-savvy) enough to know that.

Glad to see that bidawinner has moved this thread to "Help Wanted" in order to accommodate some offer. But generally speaking, members should be able to discuss e.g. about tips and suggestions WITHOUT interferences of advertisements and solicitations; this is exactly what a discussion board is about, right?

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
....and I THOUGHT RealNames is seasoned (forum-savvy) enough to know that......

Well, guess I must not be seasoned sufficiently to fully realize that and how wrong it is to offer any assistance, even on request (unless you are always acting as a totally non-profit organization).

Already notified neozero62 by PM that I was not able to respond to the SEO stuff he referred to in his PM due to this controversy.

P.S. I am thinking about a long 'vacation'

NeoZero62

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sorry about all of this. I did not mean to cause trouble here. Just was looking for some expert opinions.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NeoZero62 said:
Sorry about all of this. I did not mean to cause trouble here. Just was looking for some expert opinions.

Not your fault. It's just that we all need to remember all the forum rules before they post so more my fault for not being more seasoned at this.

moonwhisper

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just saw this post and had to respond
I am a little fish and rank higher than the companies I promote you have to build a good amount of links and have alot of relevant content and get your self hooked up with as many like minded companies as possible I run mostly affiliate programs on my website and generate a 1 in 34 conversion for companies that pay big bucks for ads dont give up the truth is out there...if you need some help pm me I have lots of little tricks that wont penalize you with se's and get you ranked as well as seen
Marissa

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom