Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Newbie totally confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mppedersen

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I bought a domain today that by all logic should be generating some decent traffic, however after 6 hours only 7 visits.

I gathered info from Alexa:

Traffic Rank Today 22,221, 3 mo avg. 27,176
Reach Today 20, 3 mo avg. 17
Links for Alexa 16

Google 350 pages containing links.

Where did I go wrong? Anybody have any ideas? I bought a domain that had stats half of these and it gets 5 to 6 thousand visitors a day.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Double-check, is there anything that might be causing some traffic to go astray - propogation of new nameservers, registrar forwarding not working correctly etc.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't judge by Alexa, judge by server reports. Alexa can be manipulated too easily.

missedcall

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mppedersen said:
Traffic Rank Today 22,221, 3 mo avg. 27,176

when a domain has high Alexa listing as above ALWAYS check if this listing refers to the actual Domain OR to a domain that points to.

e.g ...if u have abcxerftggg.com pointing to abc.com and request the alexa ranking of abcxerftggg.com wil show you abc.com's ranking.

I am not saying that this is th e case of your domain but double check this.

LoanShark

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Alexa easily being manipulated?
What listing do you guys uses here then?
Please suggest.
Thanks

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
always check the links that are calculated by alexa via marketleap.com

if links show in results there, then view the pages where the link is alledged.

if each or a majority of those pages contain the link for your domain, then tally the actual valid links.

additionally, you can check where/how each of "those" sites rank, to determine how many visitors those sites get, which determines your chances of click-thru's.

unless your domain is a 'type-in" then it's traffic is totally dependant on link traffic from other sites or seo's.

your domain could have 1,000's of links on pages that nobody visits!

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
overture with ext and without ext is a good source, some domain parking and domain sales sites somehow direct all their domain traffic through one source thereby showing all domains in the portfolio getting the total traffic figure

if you dont mind sharing what the domain is some people might assist you in seeing where traffic comes from, but i do remember some names with similar results tied to the same parking/domain sales site

mppedersen

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I know how to check Alexa for redirects, it appears that all of thes traffic did go to the domain. I wouldn't think that someone would fake traffic to a domain that has been expired for 3 months.

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mppederson, I had the same situation a few months ago an expired domain in 20k range in alexa it wasnt a redirect but when i checked history of domain it showed up in a domain sales/parking site, so i checked a few other of there domains and they had same alexa ranking i dont no how they do it, but they did, i knew this particular domain couldnt possibly have had that kind of traffic

mppedersen

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I use Dominhop which shows me unique visitors, is there a chance that since the traffic is coming from Asia that they do not count it?

LoanShark

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
traffic from Asia doesn't count?
Is that true?
Do you mean the click revenue doesn't count or the impression thing?

HellFear

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree with GiantDomains, Alexa Rank can be changed easily by generating fake traffic from some scripts/bots.

mppedersen

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Superwebex.com

Alexa still shows massive amounts of traffic, however I think I got 22 uniques today. I think I learned my lesson, check other sources such as Marketleap which paints a much different picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom