Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Newsweek Ends Print Edition - to go all digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Incredible news. We have had discussions recently about newspapers ceasing, magazines folding up, and now this, pretty much a sign of the times:

Newsweek ceasing print edition in US, going all-digital

After 80 years in print, Newsweek will publish its last print edition in the U.S. on Dec. 31 and will go all-digital starting in the new year.

Full Story

I suppose the move will decrease costs by the hundreds of millions, perhaps even into the billions, but I also have to imagine that their viewership will take a massive hit. Newsweek is pretty much a staple in any doctor's office and that accounts for a great deal of their subscriber base. And too many people, like myself, like to sit down and relax and then thumb thru the magazine and dog ear pages. My wife and I were just discussing an article last night in the new edition. She was reading about the ways 20 something year olds are handling life on social media.

The point is, I do not intentionally go to their site to get the news or opinions or articles, even though I know TIME and NEWSWEEK have their sites.

"This decision is not about the quality of the brand or the journalism—that is as powerful as ever. It is about the challenging economics of print publishing and distribution," the statement added.The full statement by Newsweek is here in which the acknowledge that the tablet is putting it out of business as a print edition and also acknowledging that it must adapt.

Another down side to this is the expected layoffs at Newsweek as well as the printing houses.

Yes, we are a subscriber and our latest edition came yesterday. Newsweek and WIRED are the only two magazines I subscribe to. I have actually been a subscriber of WIRED from day one when it was free. Then it changed to $4.00 per year. Now I think it is $10.

At any rate, I guess I'll only have one magazine coming in the new year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom