Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Nexus & .US domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
VTI.us has been registered by some German company that according to the registration code C31 is having 'bona fide' business relations to the US.

However, the Nexus requirements state:

"The nameservers for .us domains must be physically located in the United States"

These guys have their DNS in Germany. Is that a violation of the rules that can lead to the loss of the domain?

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much of the technicalities are enforced by registrars :D

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"I wonder how much of the technicalities are enforced by registrars "

In the absence of any incentive to do so? None.

You see, ICANN enters into all sorts of contracts with registies and registrars to do particular things. But these contracts never meet the basic test of contract drafting - "If party A is supposed to do X, but doesn't, then what happens?"

These things are written as all-or-nothing propositions. Is Neulevel going to have its status as .us registry revoked because some domain name doesn't comply with the nexus requirement? Are you kidding?

From the perspective of a registrar or registry, a non-compliant registration brings in the same number of dollars as a compliant registration. If a particular legal problem arises in connection with a given domain name, then, sure, they have the discretion to "enforce" a rule. However, they don't care to whom a revenue-generating name is registered.

See http://www.circleid.com/articles/2537.asp

timechange.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Very nice analysis of the incentives behind the 800-lbs gorilla :D

Thanks John.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I reported a similar situation shortly after .us went live. I was told the registry would do nothing unless I wanted to file a a WIPO or UDRP claim at a cost of $1300 plus, with no guarantee of success. If you have deep pockets and a valid claim it may be worth it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom