Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

nhn.com - interesting case

Status
Not open for further replies.

.biz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/decisions/html/2003/d2003-0939.html

On or about June 3, 2003, an American company, HBX, Inc. ("HBX") acquired the Domain Name from Buydomains.com, a domain name dealer, for a price of US$20,000. The President of HBX is William Nah. HBX is also a dealer in domain names, trading as DomainShop.

We are very sorry to tell you because we are not satisfied your offer $50,000 for this domain transaction.

Actually, we were offered many times for this domain from USA, UK, Japan and Korea, the highest offer which was over $250,000, however we haven’t sold because we weren’t satisfied.

7. Decision

In light of the foregoing findings, the Panel directs that the Domain Name <nhn.com> be transferred to the Complainant.

the moral of the story "don't be too greedy"

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just because he was offered $ 50,000. Does not mean that the Korean firm would
follow thru with the deal. They might have been just fishing.

I think both firms made mistakes. But, I don't think the Korean firm should have ended
up with the domain.

Digital Address

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I initially contemplated about $1,000~20,000

What a price range! And he offered $50,000 after they asked for $250,000! You might be right Richard. He probably was fishing. Now he gets it for almost nothing $239 (I believe is the fee for filing at WIPO!?) plus legal expenses in Korea. Smart man!

.biz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
actnow said:
Just because he was offered $ 50,000. Does not mean that the Korean firm would
follow thru with the deal. They might have been just fishing.

I think both firms made mistakes. But, I don't think the Korean firm should have ended
up with the domain.

The big corporation is in Korea and the registrant is a Korean living in the U.S. He made so many mistakes that even Ari couldn't help him.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wm. M. said:
What a price range! And he offered $50,000 after they asked for $250,000! You might be right Richard. He probably was fishing. Now he gets it for almost nothing $239 (I believe is the fee for filing at WIPO!?) plus legal expenses in Korea. Smart man!

Add another $1k at least onto that WIPO fee if my memory is right.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yea, I think stoc is around right :)

QuantumBeam

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe .biz hit the nail on the head;
" the moral of the story "don't be too greedy"
:undecided

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Korean firm email - NHN Corp
It seems that $50,000 would meet your need.
What would be the level of your expectation?
If you let me know your expected level, I will contemplate if I can afford to pay it, and if it is a reasonable price.
Does it make sense to you?
I will appreciate if you give me some information on <nhn.com> as well.

I would speculate that they were never willing to pay much for the name.

I bet they just wanted DomainShop to establish a price. So, they could use it against Domainshop in a cybersquating case.

They also figured that it would only cost them a couple thousand dollars to bring a WIPO case. It was worth the risk. They didn't have anything to lose but the money.

.biz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
NHN is a big corp and trading in stock market, http://www.nhncorp.com . They have money to spend. However, if DomainShop smarts enough he shouldn't set the price or put it for sale if the domain is value ways over $1,500 because most corporate will take UDRP instead of paying high price.

For me if domains are around $300 - $1,500, I will set the price. If I expect higher, I wouldn't say that it's for sale at the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom