Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

NicGenie Users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From anoher thread:
Originally posted by Stocdoctor
NicGenie seems to rarely include the "Great" names in their lists for bids, and I wonder if that is intentional, due to arrangements with the other parties.
Have a question. Who here uses NicGenie? I went to register for their service recently, and when I got to the credit card request form, I realized I wasn't on a secure page. I thought it was a mistake, but it doesn't look like there's a secure site running. Is everyone using them putting their credit card info through an unsecure page?

~ Nexus

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nexus
From anoher thread:
Have a question. Who here uses NicGenie? I went to register for their service recently, and when I got to the credit card request form, I realized I wasn't on a secure page. I thought it was a mistake, but it doesn't look like there's a secure site running. Is everyone using them putting their credit card info through an unsecure page?

~ Nexus

Yes, I just today but my new credit card number, I have never had problems with them, they have caught maybe 5-10 names for me.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Didn't work, that's what I meant. At first I thought it was just a linking problem, put from all appearances, they DO NOT OPERATE SECURELY!

Doesn't seem like people are bothered by that. My general rule is that *whenever* I see a website that is not securing my information, I turn and go the other way. What's more, NicGenie apparently *stores* my credit card number as well. Theoretically, if someone is listening to traffic coming in through port 80 on their server, not only can they capture my credit card data, but they can capture user-names and passwords of anyone signing into the system and escalate the effect of the breech.

With WIDE incidents of credit card theft on the Internet (remember CDUniverse?), I'm just surprised that no one seems to think this is important.

~ Nexus

wohl

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i was once top bidder on a name at nicgenie. they caught it but obviously didn't think my bid was high enough and gave the name to someone else.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing this fact out about unsecure sites Nexus. I'll think twice (or more) before entering my credit card etc into unsecure web pages.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You're welcome, dnKing. You'll notice that even Yahoo gives people the option of signing into their e-mail securely (if they prefer). With high-incidents of hacking and identity theft on the rise, otherwise innocuous transactions can get ugly very quickly.

With NicGenie, I put in a fake credit card number to complete the registration process (planning to update it when/if I figured out what was going on). I haven't e-mailed them at all though. I've heard them mentioned a few times here, and I was curious what the general practice has been up to now.

~ Nexus

Momentum

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do people still use NG? Although they make the rare big catch, they seem like a waste of time to me. JMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom