Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Niche Websites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have spent the last few months researching and developing a couple niche websites which have been pretty successful. I'm interested in sharing tips/tricks/advice with a few of you Dnf'ers. Succeeding in the niche website world is all about networking, that is, if you're interested in creating sustainable income. If any of you guys (or gals) want to chat about the industry I'd love to hear from you. Feel free to either post here or PM me directly.

PS. If anyone has any questions feel free to post them and I'll do my best to help out.

Thanks!
Shane

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I want to build a few minisites to see which one gains some traction.
Do you mind sharing some examples of your sites?

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dmyre,

I'd prefer not to as my success is dependent on the competition of the niche. I can tell you that the best type of site to build is one that answers a query rather then a broad topic. This allows you to create content once instead of adding frequent updates. One of the things I also ignored when I was starting out is ensuring their is a product related to the topic you're considering. Without a product or service there are no advertisers.

On the flip side of things - Authority Niche sites can have HUGE benefits in terms of monetization strategies. I currently have my eyes on two niches that are untapped and are perfect for a laser targeting authority site.

If you have any questions feel free to post or PM.

-Shane

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head by summing it up in 3 words - Authority Niche Sites. Most people think these are not mutually exclusive, thinking you should either build an authority site or niche site, when this couldn't be further from the truth.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dcristo,

I think people underestimate the power of niche sites. They forget that they can also be used to direct qualified traffic to a main site as well. 50 sub niche sites pointing traffic to a larger niche site can be a killer. Beats putting all your eggs in one basket if you ask me. Have you found a particular segment you like to build sites around? I have found I'm rather partial to the medical segment.

- Shane

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can tell you that the best type of site to build is one that answers a query rather then a broad topic. This allows you to create content once instead of adding frequent updates.

I appreciate the insight. It makes sense.
So, do you build your sites on wordpress?
I want to have good looking sites, but don't want to pay $$$$ to have custom themes developed.
(at least until I find out which sites become popular)

Vincent

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm new, but interested highly. What niche are you in? Is it just a mini site? How many pages?

Is wordpress enough?

Start with the basics.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dmyre,

Wordpress will be your best bet for most niche websites. If your in a position to dominate the niche you will need to have a serious amount of custom work done. However, since you're new to this you SHOULD start with Wordpress. Find a simple free theme and modify it to meet your needs. It will look professional and only cost an hour or two of your time.

It's worth noting that most people who have hoards of niche sites use one theme and make slight adjustments for each. Many developers pretty much throw spagetti at the wall and jump on what sticks. I would recommend that you spend a good amount of time finding keywords for your site before you even begin.

You must understand what industry your niche falls under.

Computers > Laptops > Gaming laptops/Netbooks/Business

In this example I've identified the industry, the primary niche and 3 subniches. If you decided to pick gaming laptops you would then plug in your keyword to the Google Adsense Tool and use it to find some long tail keywords. You'd be looking for phrases that receive at least 1,000 exact monthly (LOCAL) searches. Monthly search are generally very important unless you have an insanely specific site with perfectly target traffic for an awesome and expensive product. Usually the cards aren't dealt like that though :(.

-Shane

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Niche sites are a blessing. Find a void and fill it. Sticking with a market you know is a great benefit.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any good resources or communities for niche builders? I've been looking but haven't really found one. I'm considering getting a small community together to share resources, recommended freelancers and ideas with (without having to worry about competing against each other). Does this sound like it would interest anyone? If I can find a good group of 10 or so people who'd like to contribute I'll fund the project. I'm not looking to start a business from this just offer others in the industry a great place to talk.

All comments are appreciated!

-Shane

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up - I just bought both of them. Are you interested in the idea?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would recommend that you spend a good amount of time finding keywords for your site before you even begin.

You must understand what industry your niche falls under.

Computers > Laptops > Gaming laptops/Netbooks/Business

the Google Adsense Tool and use it to find some long tail keywords. You'd be looking for phrases that receive at least 1,000 exact monthly (LOCAL) searches.

i can agree with "Almost" :) everything you said above, except if you're going niche`, then cpc is a more important factor than # of searches.... when using adsense to monetize.

which would you rather have: cpc of $2.50 w/650 exacts or cpc of $0.47 w/ 1200 exacts?

plays jeopardy music in background

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
which would you rather have: cpc of $2.50 w/650 exacts or cpc of $0.47 w/ 1200 exacts?

To make the question fair... I'd have to modify your question to a "CPC of $2.50 with 650 exact searches or a CPC of $.50 with 3,250 searches". Now, assuming the average CTR is 2%, both would yield $32.50 a month on average. So really it doesn't matter. If you were to add one affiliate link to each page.. the larger search volume will always win. Just Sayin'. :lol:

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Still looking for people who build niche sites. Would love to hear from you guys!

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To make the question fair... I'd have to modify your question to a "CPC of $2.50 with 650 exact searches or a CPC of $.50 with 3,250 searches". Now, assuming the average CTR is 2%,
CTR of 2% does not seem very "nichey" to me. I like seeing it in the 8%-10% range, minimum.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
True but the math doesn't change. Does anyone use a mix of ppc, affiliate and digital product to monetize their sites? I'm working on diversifying my business so it can withstand wild changes. Would love to hear your strategies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom