Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Noob questions to gurus

Status
Not open for further replies.

zip

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I was wondering if someone could help me get a better picture if domain business is worth considering as additional income. I have a business unrelated to domains or web and was looking into possibility of investing some money (not much, $75-90 grand) elsewhere. So I'll fire up:

1. Is domaining likely to be one man operation and a part time job?

2. With this sort of money and possible financial back up from other business, what domain business model is more suitable and wise to start with?

3. From your experience, is domaining a type of business where you grow (even slowly) or make a quick buck and invest it elsewhere?

Your thoughts are welcome.

EDIT: No offence, but any messages asking for investment will be ignored.

Last edited:

snicksnack

DomainersChoice.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am not a guru, just a regular domainer.

1. Most of the domainers are one man shows, but their are some professional domain investment companies with multiple employees
2. Look for domains which have type in traffic and revenue.
3. Yes, it is a growing business and also longterm. Some people make a quick buck, but this is not the rule. Like any other business it takes time and effort. Domaining is no fast money scheme.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think you're going to get a different answer from each responder. :)

1) I think 99.999% are single person shows. I don't know the percentage between people who do it full time as opposed to part time / hobby. I think many (most?) of the full timers and part timers also offer other services - web development, hosting, SEO advise, content writing, etc..

2) Quality over quantity. Don't go and hand-register 100-2,000 domains, you'll end up with hundreds to thousands of dollars in renewal fees. Get a couple or a few good solid generic keyword domains and don't go to parking, look into devleopment and keep the sites current.

3) Unless you're extremely lucky or have a lot of knowledge of something, it's a long term growing operation. It also can take a lot of work (research, development, etc.).

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I was wondering if someone could help me get a better picture if domain business is worth considering as additional income. I have a business unrelated to domains or web and was looking into possibility of investing some money (not much, $75-90 grand) elsewhere. So I'll fire up:

2. With this sort of money and possible financial back up from other business, what domain business model is more suitable and wise to start with?

3. From your experience, is domaining a type of business where you grow (even slowly) or make a quick buck and invest it elsewhere?

Your thoughts are welcome.

EDIT: No offence, but any messages asking for investment will be ignored.

buy yourself an income stream, with a clear picture to roi

as stated you WILL get varied versions, but READ the newbie section as there are a few threads about "just getting started"

purchasing traffic domains that produce revenue from parking (ppc) services, can be a source of "instant" cash flow.

similiar with websites or mini-sites loaded with adsense, that also produce revenue from traffic.

do your research before making any purchases, read up on scams, cons, tricks, etc.

ask if you don't know

imo...

zip

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, appreciate the response.

zip

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good points. Appreciated!

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, most are 1 person operations, but there are many strategic alliances among domainers....I feel domaining is a fulltime or parttime job...but when you get to developing - it really needs to be full time.

I would look to pick up drops (mainly on namejet), be on the look out for good generic bargains, and pick up a strait geo or two (preferable near where I live) which I would turn into my development project, which can be funded by reselling and affiliate/parking/monetizing income from the other names you pick up.

I think the get rich quick theme has been played out...but can still happen if you get lucky. More likely, making good buying & selling decisions along with developing income generating businesses/sites is the way to do it.

F5Domains

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

By no means am I a "guru", however:

1. It depends on what you're doing. My company does brokerage as our primary activity, so we do have additional casual staff. Most people go solo.
2. Traffic and Revenue is tried and tested. But there's other options. Dominated a keyword ie. "Landscaping" and taking it in all the top extensions and developing... all sorts of options. It depends on what result you're looking for and how safe of an investment you want.
3. It's a business where you're going to screw up and burn some money at some stage -everyone does it at least once. Try and do it as little as possible, read as much as you can so that when it happens the impact is minimised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom