Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

North Carolina begins internet tax collection - unconstitutional?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
luckily, I hardly buy from NC sellers.

It sets a bad precedent for the other states to follow.

If you want to tax us so badly, tax weed.
It is not about you buying from North Carolina sellers.

It is the state of North Carolina using Amazon's resources to force Amazon to withhold state income tax from what it pays its North Carolina associates and then have Amazon file that tax with the state.

That is NOT Amazon's job.

Amazon does NOT EMPLOY me. I am contracted/sub-contracted with Amazon.

I really don't think you grasp the seriousness of this.

It appears to have been passed in about 4 or 5 states now. If this continues and Amazon refuses to collect and pay tax on my behalf this could get messy.

What this means is I am now not part of amazon's associate team and can no longer place amazon products or widgets on my sites.

So rather than Amazon do bookkeeping on behalf of the state, they will continue to drop associates from the states that pass such a law.

Domain Summit 2024

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sadly, this isn't new. New York state has been very aggressive in collecting sales tax.

See this article about NY based Overstock affiliates being dumped.
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/...york-affiliates-overboard-to-avoid-sales-tax/

And New York state isn't just going after affiliates, but even people, regardless of location, who do on-line consulting. Yep, really.

So far, such efforts have been limited in scope - most small business people still aren't aware of the sales tax risks, but as the economy gets worse, states will get more aggressive in tracking down such businesses.

Getting back to North Carolina - their argument is they're not seeking to tax Amazon, but rather affiliates based in North Carolina. So Amazon can still legally continue to sell items to NC residents without charging sales tax.

Could Amazon keep it's NC affiliates - yes, but Amazon would either need to charge all NC customers sales tax or more likely, charge sales tax on NC affiliate originated purchases, but that becomes a hassle to track, and more to the point - a customer relations nightmare ... customers would sometimes get charged sales tax and other times not without understanding why; many would take their business elsewhere.

As time goes on, it's likely Amazon will become even more of a gateway / advertising venue for independent merchants to sell their wares. Already much of what Amazon sells is via 3rd party marketplace sellers.

It's just a matter of time before all major on-line retailers charge sales tax. That will be a great opportunity for many smaller on-line sellers who will skirt the rules by staying under the radar so to speak. With the economy getting worse and sales tax approaching 10% in many places (yes really! many cities, school districts, etc have their own sales taxes that are in addition to that of the state rate), people are willing to make far more of effort to avoid sale tax than they would have in the past.

Ron

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
With the economy getting worse and sales tax approaching 10% in many places (yes really! many cities, school districts, etc have their own sales taxes that are in addition to that of the state rate), people are willing to make far more of effort to avoid sale tax than they would have in the past.

Ron
The last time I was in New Orleans (pre Katrina) the local tax was 14%.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Taxing my fun?!?

Just heard on the local evening news that there are now proposals for Taxing outdoor entertainment.

Yes, this is correct.

North Carolina has proposed to tax popular outdoor sports and events that may impact others, even non-residents.

Those that are being proposed for taxing are two massively popular North Carolina sports - Golf and White Water Rafting - and, not sure for the reason for this...horseback riding?

These are terribly bone head moves. Residents and non-residents alike will head to Virginia or South Carolina for golf. And White Water rafting could take a big hit sending those folks to Tennessee or West Virginia.

Apparently the state legislatures are aware that NC residents are spending more and more time in their own state and doing more fun things together as a family. Looking to advantage of putting the squeeze on these people who are already cutting back and feeling squeezed is not the answer.

Add a buck to each lottery ticket sold or some type of increase and a bigger prize.

This puts every thing at risk of being targeted. Look for the State to tax snow skiing and other outdoor activities along with indoor games - bowling anyone?

copper

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great.
More TAX :uhoh:
What next :upset:

I've been thinking about moving to Houston for years.
My mother always wanted to move to Houston because my uncle and grandma are there.
Only reason to stay is schools for my kids.
I live in area where top schools are located, elementary, middle and high school, all within 5 minutes of driving.

Perhaps it's time for me to move and I hate moving :disappointed:

Area52

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, nothings going to change until citizens throw the money wasting, tax raising, bums out. If you voted for a tax raiser that's your fault.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How much is the tax?

-=DCG=-

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How much is the tax?

-=DCG=-
It is just a proposal before the legislature at the moment. I have not seen the numbers.

I have a feeling anything that gives them the sense of revenue will be passed.

All of this sends a bad message to families who have cut our travel expenses, beach trips, etc and stay closer to home for recreation.

(sorry, PM clicked by accident)

Great.
More TAX :uhoh:
What next :upset:

I've been thinking about moving to Houston for years.
My mother always wanted to move to Houston because my uncle and grandma are there.
Only reason to stay is schools for my kids.
I live in area where top schools are located, elementary, middle and high school, all within 5 minutes of driving.

Perhaps it's time for me to move and I hate moving :disappointed:
Then don't.

I doubt anything is different as all states look for new sources of revenue.

Well, nothings going to change until citizens throw the money wasting, tax raising, bums out. If you voted for a tax raiser that's your fault.
I'd love to have that ability.

I am a person who deals with truths. The truth to the matter is this would not change a thing or the situation we are in state wise and nationally. Any one else would be proposing ways to increase revenue by creating new taxes.

It would simply be a horse of a different color.

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Had never heard of that project. Not surprising. Every state has their fair share of "pork barrel" projects.

Roanoke Rapids is a quaint little town.

But this surely won't put them on the map of popular NC hotspots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom