Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Not allowing me to register an IDN

Status
Not open for further replies.

(_Y_)Man

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
anyone know why? Do i have to change something?

thefabfive

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Who exactly is not allowing IDN registeration? Some registrars don't do IDNs right now. Which one are you using?

dillpupp

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is it a Japanese or Chinese registration? The IDN you're trying to register may be the victim of Character Blocking,meaning an extremely similar domain in Chinese/Japanese is previously registered.
They block a domain if it's too similar to avoid confusion.

(_Y_)Man

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yea I think thats the case dillpupp, I tried 2 registrars and they both said it was available in .com and taken in .cn and .net but it wouldnt let me

none

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The variant check is performed at the registry level unfortunately. The registrars can't check availability until they try to register the IDN in question (and charge you!).

If you're looking at registering simplified Chinese, the variant can be either traditional Chinese or Japanese Kanji.

taboo

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Even though the registar will detect no whois for that particular string someone else still has registered a simular or identicle string of characters in the native text (unicode). And the central registry bars the registration of code variants. So try not to get too excited when you see a great IDN showing as available. Before I knew this information I tried for maybe an hour trying to register 衛星.com (satellite.com) :(

(_Y_)Man

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lol, I got excited and tried to register entertainment.com (simple chinese) about 100 times :(

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In commercial term its probably a bit futile, but you can check this out. If you go to the chararcter dictionary at www.MDBG.net you can get the equivalent Traditional/Simplified characters. If you then reformulate your request with these variants, it should show that the domain has been taken. At least trying this a few time would help convince you that your registrar is giving it to you as it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom