Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Not Happy

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.US

If your not conducting legitimate biz in the USA then your taking a gamble.

16 to go.

:)

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
HUH !

Wanda aint here to ask darn, cant even get any well informed info anymore.

Where is Wanda.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bobb
Are you saying i can register a .US name even though I'm British?

Well i'm german and i registered a few good .us names and hey - i'm still alive and even more - my details are in the whois.
So where is the problem?:)

Bobb

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I got the .us name i wanted, think it will be OK as I provide a dating service for people anywhere, including the USA and have many Americans as signed up members.

Bob

Originally posted by beatz
Well i'm german and i registered a few good .us names and hey - i'm still alive and even more - my details are in the whois.
So where is the problem?:)
I would not consider that two weeks past the open day of the Registry that you are safe from losing these domains if you don't qualify under the Nexus rules. The Registry continues to claim they will be enforcing them. I've not seen anything yet announcing results of a forfeit - but it could be interesting.

Since there was only a sunrise period for trademark holders (where the domain disputes are currently being waged), and no official Landrush selection, what will they do with a name when they take it back? Will they simply DELETE the registration and now the name is available on the open market? Will they auction it? Make it available in a "Landrush II" like .info is getting ready to do? Should be interesting.

-t

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thewitt

Thats exactly what will happen.... just takes a little time before the S***T

Hits the fan.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Interesting indeed.

What i wonder is how do they wanna find out about if someone qualifies for the Nexus? I mean, just the address details don't show if a person legitimates - one would really have to look up a lot of things before being able to decide.Or they just gonna approach the registrants in doubt asking them to prove their case.

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It will come from a claimant trying to get the name you registered if a legitimate US business or citizen wants the name you registered.

Until them dun worry bout it, they are not going to look into every reg until they recieve a complaint.

I don't believe they have published any details on how they plan to enforce this - only that the are serious about it.

They may simply rely on the UDPR, letting the complainant fund the research, and using their policy as the reason to revoke the registration.

This does not make complete sense to me though, since in the dropped domain scenario, the UDRP complainant would not have any better chance at picking up the domain than anyone else.

Now if they gave the domain to the winner of the UDRP suit, that might start a whole rash of complaints over registrations that don't meet Nexus requirements.

It will be interesting to follow. I wonder what CIRA does now for .ca domains?

-t

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If the name is a good one, the risks of losing it in UDRP challenge is of course a lot higher.

Nexus represents the most elegant form of reserve cyberjacking yet invented.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Nexus represents the most elegant form of reserve cyberjacking yet invented"

Indeed.
Although i personally think i don't have anything to fear - I conduct legit biz in the US,i have an US toll-free number and so on.So someone trying to hijack a name from me via complaint would have a hard time to prove his case.

Bobb

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
part of Nexus Category 3 ...

·Applicant must state country of citizenship.

·Applicant must also (1) regularly engage in lawful activities (sales of goods or services or other business, commercial or non-commercial including not-for-profit activities) in the United States

does this include applicants that live outside of the USA but sell or provide products/services to any person anywhere including America?

Surely if i provide a service and have just one American customer/client i'm entitled to own a .US name without fear of it being taken from me in the future.

The less restricted they allow .us to be, the more chance it has of being a success. If there is too much interference and unfair outcomes for existing domain holders then there will be a backlash against the tld from the bad publicity. They should actually look at eliminating the nexus requirements in a year’s time. .com's success is based on its unrestricted accessibility. No doubt, there will be unscrupulous individuals and companies out there using the Nexus to hijack domains of their choice. But bad decisions like this will cause great harm to the tld.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom