Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Odd Trend in TV Advertised Domains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dillpupp

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm sure many others have noticed this, but I have not seen it mentioned anywhere.I see countless Ads on TV where companies are adding numbers at the beginning or the end of thier trademark.
For example, at the end of the Enzyte commericial,they direct you to visit Enzyte28.com or instead of Restasis adversiting Restasis.com,they have Restasis52.com as thier site.
I've also seen this with BlueHippo,and many others I can't remember.The first time I saw the unusual use of numbers in a domain was on one of those "make money at home" programs,and thier site was "Income42.com" or something.And each time the commercial plays,a new domain is put at the bottom of the screen.I assumed this is to split traffic among a bunch of people who may be involved with the program.
What I can't understand is why the holders of trademarks like Restasis are purposely putting numbers in thier domain.Anyone have any insight on this?

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I haven't noticed that, but I have noticed the trend in commercials and tv shows where it's always the sexy smart sophisticated women married to the fat ugly stupid guy. I have vowed never to buy their products or watch thier shows again.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Many of the ads I've seen, especially later at night do that ... but most of them though are the form of product.com/## etc...

Not seen too many without a slash between ... but perhaps I'm not watching close enough ... advertizers likely realized people have trouble with the slash key so they chosen to eliminate that much like the "www." part disappeared from many urls in ads ages ago...

Anyways, in answer to your question ... from my understanding, the extra numbers are trackers to better help advertisers determine the response from various advertising venues; could be utilized for payout purposes too, but not sure if that's common or not.

Ron

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sarcle said:
I have noticed the trend in commercials and tv shows where it's always the sexy smart sophisticated women married to the fat ugly stupid guy.

Are you talking to me? :-D

You can see my most recent picture. I'm the .com model.

www.NewNames.info

I haven't noticed the domains with the numbers included.

However, It might be a case of "keying the ad".
Meaning that they can determine how you got to the site.

Years ago, they use to use different -
800 numbers, PO Boxes, special depts when mailing in orders, etc., etc.

bocajohnh

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
actnow said:
However, It might be a case of "keying the ad".
Meaning that they can determine how you got to the site.

Years ago, they use to use different -
800 numbers, PO Boxes, special depts when mailing in orders, etc., etc.
Agree with the keying part, but not the "years ago" comment. Keyed ads are alive and well and used by Marketing/Advertising departments that realize that you need to monitor your ad campaigns. If you advertise using Google adwords, Google does the "keying" for you so you know which ads work and convert.

Look in the back pages of the magazines that are popular with mail order types; Popular mechanics, Ladies home journal, etc, and you'll see this type of keying. Course, any circle-the-ad number card that you fill in is doing the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom