Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Off the shelf website design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I would like to develop some of my names but I do not have the expertise so are there any good "off the shelf" templates that I should be looking at

I have used WebsiteNow(Register.com) for my names as that is simple but I would like to alittle more adventurous.

Thanks

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Basic HTML is not that difficult. There is a really good free editor called 1st Page by Evrsoft. Try it - you'll be surprised how quickly you can create new pages.

Wot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks DomainPairs I will take a look.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How far do you go when you say DEVELOP? Register.com's WebsiteNow is silly. If you are only putting up a one-page thing, you don't need any template at all. Learn a bit of HTML in an hour from an on-line tutorial easily found everywhere. If you are looking for WEBSITE templates, try search the term in Yahoo and you'll get tons of links there. Hope this helps.

By the way, something to brag about: I did the whole nameslave.com myself by handcoding HTML from scratch, and it is not the most complicated site I did in this way. ;)

Larry

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Dotus,

If you get a subscription to a site like basictemplates.com and then get the artistic types that frequent this forum to make you a logo you are all set.

Throw together some content and you got site.

But, even if you do that, I would go over to the maricopa community college site hwere they offer a great beginners course in basic html....very easy to learn and worth your time.

larry

Wot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks,

I am semi retired and thought I had stopped having to learn things but the "new domain game"(too late for dotcom) , .us, .info etc has created an interest so it looks like it's back to school!

Nameslave, silly is relative, whislt I congragulate you on your achievements my first site "perfectname.us " is with Register.com and in my eyes it was the best ever! Mind you now I look at other sites I am cringing but you have to start somewhere!

I have made money at everything I have ever attemted so looks like here we go again, hopefully!

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not meant to be rude, dotus. Perhaps it's because I started marking up web pages in HTML from the first day, so all template-driven things like Front Page or even DreamWeaver look bad to me. But then every 18 months or so, I will find my old web pages terrible. :D

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Go to
www.elated.com and check out their free templates
or
www.pagekits.com for their commercial templates.

Their free ones are the best i've seen on the net so far.

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The worst people for designing web pages are web page designers. They fire up Dreamweaver, construct all sorts of java stuff and Flash animations and forget why you are creating a web page in the first place.

Safe surfers turn off Java[script] and active-x (woops that's got a hyphen in it!) when they are cruising new sites. Why do they do this? because sites load faster, they don't get auto-installing spyware and dialers, ans are less vulnerable to Viruses. Safe surfers don't open the door to the shop if your first page is a Flash animation.

It always amazes me that people turn off cookies (which can only report info that the server can read anyway) and leave Java[script] on, which can collect and report all the info. that you tried to conceal by turning off cookies.

I've written all this in the hope that you will code your own pages and produce a simple and efficient site that sells for you.

Wot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone this is a great forum!

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A lot depends on what your developed site will be or do. It it's static web pages templates work fine. It the content is non-static, like this forum is with user interaction and constant changes, then something like PostNuke or PHPnuke might be the trick for a database driven site. I haven't used but am impressed by what I've seen on PHPwebsite as well.

strongvis

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"The worst people for designing web pages are web page designers."

NOW COME ON!! DOMAIN PAIRS!
REAL webdesigners know the pitfalls and test . . . AND can hand code. Next time hire a designer who knows his stuff.

TemplateMonster.com sells templates too. .Might be a bit more advanced for you dotus.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can browse the web properly withOUT javascript ON these days (not to say cookies); it's like a living as a Hamish. I guess a GOOD anti-virus software with regular updates is enough for most casual surfers.

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Web site designers design to please the managing directors of their client companies and to demonstrate their skills. Very few design to achieve the purpose of a web site.

I put Javascript on prompt and decide if I want to allow it to be used when I view the site.

Have you noticed that sites like HP now list the Java functions they use, and Ebay dropped their insistence on js for auction submissions (using expression like "click here if you want to use the old fashioned method").

D

domains1357

> The worst people for designing web pages are web page designers.

Hey.... that's an offense.

> They fire up Dreamweaver

Drewamweaver is for newbies. I prefer EditPlus (usual text editor, but with syntax highligh - it helps to detect errors while conding) and other designers i know also use editplus or textpad or any other notepad-compatible editor with syntax highlight.

D

domains1357

and for dotus: whatever you decide to do PLEASE DO NOT use FrontPage - it creates html crap that works only with IE (same for Adobe GoLive - it is better than frontpage, but still creates crap).

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DomainPairs,

I think you have gone too far against new web technology. Personally, I don't like Flash and prefer to handcode all my sites from scratch using only notepad (or Microsoft Word if the file is too big). I even wrote a philosophy page a couple of years ago at http://www.meechlake.com/philosophy.html. However, that doesn't necessarily translate into archaic design or over-simplified layout. For illustration purpose, you may want to compare http://www.domainpairs.com with http://www.richmondhill.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom