Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

offer, counter offer strategy (seller)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oberheimer

Domain investor
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
what do you think about my strategy:

If i get let's say a $1 000 offer on a domain and i think it's a fair price i usually double that and counter offer.
Im only after more than resell so if the price is that i double it

Domain Days 2024

AdrianM

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if the offer is from enduser is most likelly he will pay more then initial offer(sometime even 5-10 times). it really depends how much he wants it and the money he has to spend

also how much you want to sell that domain and how often you get offers on it is important.

based on above I would always return a counteroffer

oberheimer

Domain investor
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That is true they can offer alot more but if i wite BIN is $5 000 and he offers $1 500 and i counter with $3 000 seems like fair.
I did'nt think about the other option if he just makes an offer lets say $1 000, he might think it's a good price for it and same for me, so hard sometimes to estimate what the buyer can be willing to pay

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't see how a first offer can determine a final selling price in any way unless it exceeds your expectations.

Talkhost

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If I receive an offer for a domain I have not advertised for sale, then I refuse to sell it.
If someone takes the time to look up whois and make an offer to the whois contact, then they obviously want the name more than I want to sell..
Even if the domain makes bugger all I'll keep it, I'm happy in the knowledge that I have the domain that they want, and they cannot get it unless they make me a silly offer... and if they really want the domain they will make a silly offer that cannot be refused.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Sometimes you can set your selling price based on an offer, it depends on the offer and the value of the domain, it happened to me on a domain that I was going to let expire in a month, this guy offered me $500 for it, I would of let it go for $200, but instead I counter offered with $1500, pushing it to the limit, he counter offered back with $1000 and I gladly accepted.

Most of the time I get insulting offers, $100 to $500 for a domain that appraises between 20K-50K. I think thats the same story for most of us.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sometimes people (like myself) shoot out a low price quote to test the waters and expect back a reasonable asking price..you can't blame anyone for sending out an initial low-ball and it be no means says that person offering does'nt expect to pay ALOT more for the domain..in fact some of my biggest sales came from $100 whois offers via email...then I respond back with a REAL asking price...not $500,000 or something ridiculous and they usually counter back at slightly less or at the max they really can spend...it's all in the wording too..you want to appeal to the buyer and their ego, not stomp on it and make it a pissing contest. That never sells anything.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
it's all in the wording too..you want to appeal to the buyer and their ego, not stomp on it and make it a pissing contest. That never sells anything.

Your right, you need to negotiate the deal at a professional level, responses such as; "$5000!!! are you smoking crack?" usually are ignored.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
agreed, you have to lose the ego altogether when negotiating domain deals because you really don't know if its that million dollar buyer on the other end of your email....many times they will register a domain at aol or hotmail to send offers out with so the potential seller does not get overly ambitious in their asking price, i.e. rather than send an offer from [email protected], he might send you a msg from [email protected] or something like that...and start out with a very low offer...case in point I once got a $100 offer for WinRealBig.com and responded back politely with a low $x,xxx offer and the buyer accepted..from some aol email of course...turns out it was a national credit card company and they bought it no probs..and I now have the domain name again! lol ;)

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hahahah..no they later forgot to renew it, happens when these big hotshot marketing guys or execs buy domains and put them in their personal info with after buying them with company funds..I think they rarely check their "other" email since they are so busy all the time. I got back 2 names this way! lol

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Really depends ...

Personally, I set a price range target for many of my for sale domains ... if the buyer makes an offer in the sought price range or at the ask, I will often accept the offer with little to no negotiations.

One shouldn't solely rely on the offers they get for valuing a domain - most initial offers are lowballs ... doubling or even quadrupling a lowball often still equals leaving much money on the table

Selling is an art, especially domains - no two sales are the same, and thus the sales strategies won't be either.

Ron

what do you think about my strategy:

If i get let's say a $1 000 offer on a domain and i think it's a fair price i usually double that and counter offer.
Im only after more than resell so if the price is that i double it

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
very well said

oberheimer

Domain investor
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
but sometimes it works, if they really want the name.
My friend had a domain for sale on afternic.com 50k reserve i think he got an offer on 10k, then 15k, then 20k then the buyer asks the seller, he says 50k then the buyer counter with 30k and seller agres, but the buyer changed his mind, not sure why,

so no sale at the end but

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom