Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

offer problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nexmax

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of newbies running around the various forums, but I'm tired of offers that aren't taken. Its one thing if you clearly state that you might give, or something like that. However, if you say I offer $xx, and the offer is accepted I consider it sold. Am I wrong in this few. I think an offer with no qualifiers that is accepted should be considered a binding contract.

Would like thoughts on this from others. Its a pet peeve of mine and has happened to me more in 2 weeks than in the last year (on the forums) Offers through my sites are too often .....not true offers(?).

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This has been discussed before and although it is very annoying the consensus seems to be that an offer is just that, an offer. Most seem to feel that unless the offer is accepted by the seller AND subsequently confirmed as acceptable by the buyer, there is no deal. Even then some would say no deal until money has changed hands. IMO someone who makes an offer should be assuming that acceptance will mean a sale, but not everyone views it that way.
I guess the moral is, be careful who you deal with - once bitten twice shy as the saying goes.

Nexmax

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
well after 20 years in collectibles this kinda of bothers me. The only time someone made an offer and then backed was children. They just didn't know better. of course we had the benefit of inflection and body lanuage. The thing I had after I accept an offer the name is on hold. They should at least let you know that they are no longer interested. I mean I normally write twice and most of the time I get no reply. Wasted time and heaven forbid if someone else wanted it. But you are right I don't consider it sold until I have money in my hand except for a few I deal with.

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, in this community, if you submit an offer on a domain or website, via public post, PM or email, and the seller responds positively within a resonable time frame, both parties have complete responsibility to finish the deal.

Nexmax

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I largely agree. I think people need to be careful in what they say. if you say offer $20, and its accepted it should be sold. if they ask would you take, then its not quite as firm. an offer is an offer, and if its accepted then it should be sold.

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"It is never a done deal - till it is a done deal". Payment usually indicates a done deal. We never withdraw a domain name from other offers until it is paid in full. Just how we work in the domains industry. We sold a high profile domain name yesterday that we have waited 8 days for payment on after confirmation of purchase - another buyer made an offer - we excepted and it was paid and transfered within 1 hour. Seems to happen often on the large ticket sales - Steve

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Also, I think the wording of any "offer" makes a lot of difference as well. There's a very large difference between inquiring what a bottom line is on a domain, and making a "formal" offer to buy!

For example: "Hey DomainOwner, would you take 100.00 for IndecisiveSeller.com?"

as opposed to: Dear DomainOwner- I want to buy IndecisiveSeller.com. If you are willing to sell it for 100.00, I will buy it. Please let me know if you accept my offer.

The first is a casual inquiry, with no obligation on either person's part, and the second is much more an "official" offer to buy, which, if accepted has more finality and carries more obligation.

But of course Steve speaks true, that no sale is truly final till the value changes hands, I think that concept is supported by contract law as well. But I also believe most of us honor "gentlemen's agreements" to buy or sell when they are made.

WebCat

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with you completely WebCat...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom