Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Offereing .net name to the .com owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Has anybody ever had any luck with offering the .NET version of a domain name to the .COM owner?

I have tried several times and have NEVER had any luck.

Anybody have any experiences (positive or negstive) with trying this?

-Bob

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have once. I sold a wine domain (.net) to a the owner of the (.com). I had the domain poining to a forsale page for about 8months. The site got maybe 10 visitors in that time. I wasn't even going to renew it. I sent out about 5 emails to a few companies/people that might be interested, including the .com owner. They responded in about 2 days and were interested. I sold it for $850USD. By the way, this was about 3 weeks ago.

RMF

Donna Mahony

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just once. Wego.net to the com holders $1500.00

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
bestcase.net for $225 to bestcase.com owner

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had a reverse situation, I created a .com name that somebody liked. They bought the .net and .info and then, I sold them the .com.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sold CDwow.net to the .com holder for a 4 figure UK pounds amount.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Direct solicitation can sometimes be risky, unless you have an absolutely generic name. it could be used against you in a reverse hijack dispute case by using the solicitation to prove you as a cybersquatter instead of a domain speculator. My recommendations:

First, park it a while to see if they come to you. You're in a better bargaining and potential dispute position if they solicit you for the sale.

Second, if you can put up a site, even with affiliate links it makes the domain more than just a name. Many would pay more to close a competetive site than just buy another name.

Third, if you do decide to direct solicit, send the email to at least 5-6 other potential buyers, putting all visible in the "to:" box with the dot-com owner listed last. It can create more desire to know you aren't the only potential buyer, especially if the others are potential competitors. This probably won't work unless the name is generic.

Last, don't ask too much. Most will respond to a quick easy sale of <$1000, but will consider higher amounts as blackmail and could try a dispute instead.

BTW, I've sold about 5 or 6 .net and .org names to the .com owners, but only directly solicited one of them as above. Prices from $100 to $600, and all generic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom