Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

offers for forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nexmax

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I cant believe the offers I receive for names even when I list the price. 3 letter .nets are the worse. I get normally 5 offers every time I post one, and most offers are at 60%. 60%? At those kind of levels people should really test the waters first as I consider that almost an insult. I really think you should make sure that the person is open to offers that are much lower than asking price, especially when you are only talking on name. Oh well.

petertdavis

Don't be afraid to see...
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's business, it doesn't pay to be insulted by someone's offer.

Nexmax

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree and respectfully disagree. Yes it is just business. And yes you can often buy names at 50-60% of asking prices, even in wholesale type forums. That said I think you should feel the field and perhaps prime the pump a little before you come in with offers that low. Been haggling most of my life and know you don't start real low or straight off. I believe you should really get a little feel of your seller before you start low balling them. There are many time you can buy at 60%, but I would say its rare that you can offer 60% on something right off and get a yes. You have often cost yourself money. Much better to brouch the matter lightly at first.

Second 50% of wholesale is an insult. They are insulting your intelligence or their's is lacking. I don't sell below wholesale, offer it, or operate a business to lose money.

petertdavis

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When you post your domains for sale do you state that you do not want any lowball offers?

ShaunP

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
real simple ...just say ..."offers above $xxx only" considered.

Shaun

petertdavis

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yep, that's another way of going about it. I don't know if that would really stop people from making lowball offers though.

Nexmax

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The problem with that is most assume thats the price and most of your offers will be at that price or just above.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"insult"? "feelings"?? This is business, not therapy. Emotions have no place here, just like the stock market.

"Been haggling most of my life and know you don't start real low or straight off"
Ummm... this is the very DEFINITION of haggling.

Buyer: I offer you $100.
Seller: No.
Buyer: OK, I offer you $75.
Seller: SOLD!

No... this isn't the way it works. The buyer starts with a lower offer.

"I don't sell below wholesale, offer it, or operate a business to lose money."
Again, this is an emotional issue, not a business transaction. Let's say you register a name for $10, it didn't sell, it's up for renewal you decide it's not worth the $10 to renew. You then get an offer to sell it for $5. If you refuse, because of an emotional issue, you are simply letting emotions cloud your business sense. In every business, there are times where it is SMART to sell below wholesale.

Somehow I bet I'll be flamed for this....

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you post "Taking Offers", don't be insulted, be glad people respond.

If you post a price "or best offer", people are bound to try and get a good price. I'm sure you do this as well.

If you post a static price, people should PM you, saying "Are you open to offers?" BEFORE sending you an offer.

Just one cat's opinion!

WebCat

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JuniperPark said:
Somehow I bet I'll be flamed for this....
JuniperPark! You awful, horrible, terrible monster! How dare you try to inject logic, experience and well-thought opinion into a discussion! Consider yourself flamed! :cheeky:

WebCat :goofy:

NameWolf

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I dont' think there is any reason to be upset, or get offended. This is business. You are trying to get the best price you can and they are trying to get the price they can.

Regards,

NW

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When I put "Taking Offers" I get $5 offers for domains with $150 bids on namewinner or $30 offers for domains with $600 bids. Maybe my domains are crap but...

When I post a min price I get (min offers)+$1.

I have another thread here with what happend to me last time I asked for offers. I got a headache and no "real" offers.

Nexmax

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Look I'm just saying this. I Do consider it an insult if some one offers me $25 on a pure 3 letter .net I'm not emotional, ive very logical. And yes you can get very good prices on some of these forums, but like I said its best to feel out the seller and perhaps prime the pump a little. Sorry if we dont see eye to eye on this, but its whats worked for me in several very profitable businesses.

Several posts above assume things that are not true. Sure I sell at loses at times. I made a mistake, I try not to sell below market value. Emotions are part of it, but they shouldnt be. I may get emotional but not in my business decisions. I was a successful trader as well. You can read my post anyway you like. You can believe me to be whatever you chose. You are obviously entitled to your own opinion. That said I believe several comments above are incorrect, and that my comments have been taken incorrectly.

These threads are why I often refrain from posting in these forums. I try to vent and give some decent advice and I get a public beating.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
keshe said:
Look I'm just saying this. I Do consider it an insult if some one offers me $25 on a pure 3 letter .net I'm not emotional, ive very logical. And yes you can get very good prices on some of these forums, but like I said its best to feel out the seller and perhaps prime the pump a little. Sorry if we dont see eye to eye on this, but its whats worked for me in several very profitable businesses.

Several posts above assume things that are not true. Sure I sell at loses at times. I made a mistake, I try not to sell below market value. Emotions are part of it, but they shouldnt be. I may get emotional but not in my business decisions. I was a successful trader as well. You can read my post anyway you like. You can believe me to be whatever you chose. You are obviously entitled to your own opinion. That said I believe several comments above are incorrect, and that my comments have been taken incorrectly.

These threads are why I often refrain from posting in these forums. I try to vent and give some decent advice and I get a public beating.

I'm going to ASSUME here that this post is aimed at mine, since mine was most direct.

1) Nothing here was intended as a flame or a beating; I do not think badly of you, and I don't think anyone else here does.

2) If you don't think you're emotional, read your posts, especially the last one. I even picked out the specific words you used that showed clearly that you were using EMOTIONS to make decisions rather than logic/reason/business sense.

3) I quoted your statements word for word... now you deny posting them?

4) We've seen it in the stock market crash, we've seen it in real estate, we've seen it at the blackjacktable... if you measure your ego and balance your emotions by the money in your hand, you will end up mentally corrupt. Don't put yourself on that rollercoaster ride, separate the numbers from your wellbeing. Seriously.... if a bargain hunter making a lowball offer ruins your day, you should find another line of work that will make you happy. Lowball offers are a non-event; treat them as such.

Nexmax

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am emotional but my decisions are not made that way.

M

mole

keshe said:
I am emotional but my decisions are not made that way.

No worries. Just reply, "Get lost, you cheapskate" btw, I'm offering elequa $3 for media.com.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
$4 :)
Do I win now?

Nexmax

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My point was only this. You dont walk into any business and say I'll give you 50%. You say hello. Tell them you are a reseller. That you might be interested in some of their product if they could offer a discount. That was my main point. I dont think its best to send someone that only says "offer 50%". There is no harm in approaching the matter with kid gloves. Its much like people that say payment in 5 minutes, like when else is going to be? Like at trade shows when people used to pull out the cash.

I'm just saying be respectful. many people are brash, but many aren't. If you treat everyone with respect the only ones that are going to be offended are the most brash. I can do without them anyway.

Was I was trying to say. You should feel out your seller. You shouldnt bash their name when trying to buy it. another insult. If its so bad than why are they wanting to buy it.

I have just found it best after 23 years to be polite and feel the seller out. Sure everyone wants to get the best price, but if you come in at 50% from the start you are likely to get a straight no and no counter.

Cant we all just Rodney King?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom