Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Offers in forums???

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had a thread that I was requesting offers for my domains at:
http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?t=48571&page=3&pp=15

I am really dissapointed in these forums including myself.
This was NOT an auction in any way and I lot of people turned it into one.
I started posting the highest offers in here so that anyone could see what
the offers were and so that I wouldn't have to PM or email everyone each time
someone made a higher offer.

What I saw here and elsewere was:
People not reading the thread at all, posting questions answered above etc.
Lowball offers at %99 of offers.
People making offers and then retracting them all the time.
People asking for prices when I said I won't give prices.
People saying this is an auction when some turned it into one by:
Almost noone making the best offer they could.
Domains with snaps, Pool, namewinner bids etc. a few days ago getting $10 or $30
offers.

This was the last time I posted so many domains for offers at the same time.
Next time I will think even posting one domain at a time for offers.
Also I never said I give them all for a loss. And that is what would happen
if I sold these domains.

This "experiment" was such a big failure. I just hope this will raise some
issues about these forums.

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
By posting an end time and constantly updating the offers you were getting, you certainly gave the impression it was an auction. Yes you stated it was not, several times, but if you've learned anything about some people on forums, I'm sure it's that they often don't read the whole enchilada. To make matters more complex, you posted the names for offer on at least one other forum. (seems you had the same issues there) I really think the issue was posting the most recent offers. It made it seem like "bid" enticement..

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't get too worked up about it. Nothing is guaranteed in this business. Selling names in this forum or others can be frustrating. Sales here and elsewhere are raw and people are trying to get deals. It's just part of the game I have gotten used to and accept if I want to try and sell names here. The only way to overcome this is controlling the thread with your main pitch.

Some recommendations:

Make sure all information is carefully worded in the main description. I use bold print and repeat myself on key points.

Example: You state bidding ends at 11:59 on Monday. In America bidding implies an auction. This probably confused some folks. People see that in the main post and might not catch the individual thread updates. In the future you may want to edit confusing info from the main post.

The end of the sale was confusing as well. Saying it ends at 11:59 on Monday is incomplete as no one knows which time zone it is in. GMT, EST, CST etc.

Also if you don't want low ball offers you might suggest a range .Example:

ThisDomain.org Accepting offers in the low to mid $xxx range. Lower offers will not be considered.

You.ve got some nice names. I hope future sales work out better for you.

Sincerely,
Think
aka: C.T. Kirkpatrick

openforsale.com

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, you can still run it as an "AUCTION".
Just say that there are RESERVE prices on the domains. And you won't have to sell if bids do not reach your expectations.
I think then, there would not have been any confusion about your "highest offers received" posts.

All the best!:)

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Bidding is associated with auctions. From what I see, you did have an auction. You simply had a hidden reserve. Whats the problem with that?.

RMF

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i originally offered you $100 each for......
martians.org
connie.org
pompeii.org

as a buy now price!

for a couple of them. no one else came close to that offer!

you could have sent me a pm, stating what you wanted, but was still looking for the best offer! A deal could have been made on those names!

perhaps it is the general opinion, that those names did not have as much value, as anticipated by you!

you cannot compare bids at pool, to those at to reseller forums.......we just don't pay that much!

i am still interested in the domains, so perhaps you can send me a buy now price for them!

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
dvdrip said:
This "experiment" was such a big failure. I just hope this will raise some
issues about these forums.

If anything I suggest, either post fixed prices, or take offers in private. The minute people start posting offers it's going to turn into an auction.

As far as my "bid" retraction, I did it based on my best interests. I wasn't happy how your sale was being ran (unclear end of sale--which was suspiciously vague with the GMT left out), and your comments, "Make the highest offer you can..."???? Um... As a veteran buyer of names, I'm not going to give you the "highest" offer. I want to see want you are looking for, hence a "ball park figure" would have been nice.

All in all, I don't hold anything against you dvdrip. You have some great names, and wish you the best of luck in the future. Also I think it is commendable for you to have started this thread so a "lessons learned" discussion could take place.

izopod

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey dvdrip. Yesh, things did get a little weird over there! But a person could see how just asking for "offers", might naturally lead to that!

It might help to say something like "Best offer over $xx.xx" That would at least give people some direction. Whenever I've bought a used car, a consumer electronic, or musical instrument, my first question is always, "What are you asking?"

This provides a sort of baseline for negotiations to begin!

WebCat

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I remember that post and I didn't even look at the deals because everthing was so confusing.

Next time, name your target price. I would suggest if you are going to keep your target price a secret, you list one name at a time, othewise this will happen again, and you will have another pseudo-auction frenzy.

Just a suggestion.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think I made some mistakes with wording and rules.
I was surprised with all the offers I received.
And I should have updated the original post.

Sorry about not giving feedbank to all but I had so many PMs, emails, posts that I could reply to all.

I think I will follow an advice I got:
"I'll post the name, a price I'll accept "right now", an invitation to make offers, a minimum "don't waste my time" amount, and a time limit. "

The thing I don't understand is why namewinner and pool bidders turn into bargain hunters in here.

Sorry if I wasted people's time. This will not happen again.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The thing I don't understand is why namewinner and pool bidders turn into bargain hunters in here.

Of course we also need to remember that not all names are of "Pool High-Bid" quality and just because someone is prepared to pay $$$$$$$ for supername.com does not mean that we can expect the same for mediocre.ws

A good format seems to be "Accepting offers over $xxx - Buy it now $xxx" that way people know what you are expecting and can act accordingly.
I would also echo what others have said about problems with listing more than one name for "offers".

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mr Webname I am talking about the same names that has bids. Not similar ones.
I can't believe that a name with a $250 bid at namewinner will get eg a $10 offer.

I would also echo what others have said about problems with listing more than one name for "offers".
I said this in my first post here.

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Not all NW/Pool bidders are Members of DNF etc...

Example : I tried to sell a name here and couldnt get $5 for it, posted it on Afternic Bazaar and got $35...

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom