Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

"Old age begins at 27: Scientists reveal new research into ageing"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Now I know why Founders of most start-ups are early to mid twenties...I officially feel old, dazed and confused :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...-research.html

Old age is often blamed for causing us to misplace car keys, forget a word or lose our train of thought.

But new research shows that many well-known effects of ageing may start decades before our twilight years.

According to scientists, our mental abilities begin to decline from the age of 27 after reaching a peak at 22.

The researchers studied 2,000 men and women aged 18 to 60 over seven years. The people involved – who were mostly in good health and well-educated – had to solve visual puzzles, recall words and story details and spot patterns in letters and symbols.

Similar tests are often used to diagnose mental disabilities and declines, including dementia.

The research at the University of Virginia, reported in the academic journal Neurobiology Of Aging, found that in nine out of 12 tests the average age at which the top performance was achieved was 22.

The first age at which performance was significantly lower than the peak scores was 27 – for three tests of reasoning, speed of thought and spatial visualisation. Memory was shown to decline from the average age of 37. In the other tests, poorer results were shown by the age of 42.

Professor Timothy Salthouse said the results suggested that therapies designed to prevent or reverse age-related conditions may need to start earlier, long before people become pensioners.

He wrote: ‘Results converge on a conclusion that some aspects of age-related cognitive decline begin in healthy, educated adults when they are in their 20s and 30s.’

There is some good news, though. The report states that abilities based on accumulated knowledge, such as performance on tests of vocabulary or generalinformation, increase until at least the age of 60.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Nah, it's the Internet phenomenon that allows younger people - or even commands them - to start early, sometimes as early as their teen years, while they are still technically children. A man in his mid twenties is not quite mature emotionally and intellectually and past his peak physically (which occurs around 18-21). So what happens in our 30's and 40's is a natural evolution in productivity, like web 2.0 - a better version of ourselves. The 50's and 60's are the years of slowing down for the 70's and beyond - when we sit down and ponder the things we did, the things we didn't and do what we still can :D

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Smoke some weed and protect your brain, it's proven science. (in simple terms)

Stress (#1), poor diet, dehydration, & lack of adequate rest are the largest contributors to cognitive & physical decline. Sleep as much as you can, eat whole & green foods, drink lots of water & just learn to chill out..you will live longer & be much smarter. :smokin: :hippie:

Compassion

feel the qi
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Smoke some weed and protect your brain, it's proven science. (in simple terms)

Stress (#1), poor diet, dehydration, & lack of adequate rest are the largest contributors to cognitive & physical decline. Sleep as much as you can, eat whole & green foods, drink lots of water & just learn to chill out..you will live longer & be much smarter. :smokin: :hippie:
very wise

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I thought it was common knowledge (that human capacity, in terms of both physical and intellectual, peaks at mid- to late 20s). People, you don't really have to feel sour (if not soar LOL) for over 27. Young people could run AND THINK faster, that's a fact of life. But don't worry, unless you're among the "cream", you can't really tell the difference: very likely, your above-average response time would still be significantly faster than those mediocre majority around you.

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think, will science eventually find a way to reverse aging? I vaguely recall reading an article somewhere stating that it's a matter of when, not if, though I'm not sure if that's a standard scientific consensus.

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
johnny walker keeps everybody young!

Amen brother! :approve:

What do you guys think, will science eventually find a way to reverse aging? I vaguely recall reading an article somewhere stating that it's a matter of when, not if, though I'm not sure if that's a standard scientific consensus.

I doubt it. They are certainly close to being able to replace nearly every part in your body, but you can't keep the soul alive through mechanical means.

HarveyJ

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Considering that the average life expectancy has basically doubled over the last 150 years, I think you've already answered that question to some extent.

In terms of actually reversing aging, highly unlikely, if not outright impossible. The human body is designed to give out after a certain period of time. We have so many different killswitches in us that are tied to other genes that are necessary for basic functions.

The closest we'll get to this is some sort of mental transfer, whereby a personality is encoded digitally and put into a another storage medium, or even body.
Frankly, I can see a lot of upsides to being a cyborg, but I think I'd miss eating things the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom