Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

old whois info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkestWeb

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Could someone that can pull old whois info from like 1 year ago and is willing to help me PM me?

I've been contacted by someone claiming to be the previous owner of a domain I have and he would like it back. I don't have a problem selling it back to him assuming he really is the origional owner, but I get so many of these saying they were the owner and they lie that I normally ignore them. This was a large site that doesn't really provide traffic that I need, it does look like he put alot of time into it and it would be kewl for him to have it back, I just want to be sure he's who he says he is...

Thanks in advance,

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
http://openaccess.dialog.com/ip/

See if they have the record you're looking for.
If they do, its about $4 to view it. Might be worthwhile.
Include it in your transaction fee if you give it "back".

Good luck,
~ Nexus

Togoodhlth

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
did you try archive.org?
If you look at the site it may have his email address, physical address, phone number etc.

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
dialog.com database.

devolution

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Isn't this a breach of WHOIS database T&Cs and Data Protection law, not to mention copyright laws?

Surely the WHOIS databases didn't give them permission to store away complete copies?

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why not?

Might be a bad assumption, but I'm thinking they'd have their bases covered on this. Also, wouldn't Archive.org be guilty as well?

~ Nexus

devolution

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes - but on Archive.org, you can request that your material be removed, with virtually no effort whatsoever.
But WHOIS details are a bigger kettle of fish - they contain explicit personal information (name, addresses, phone numbers, email) that people would probably not put on a website.
Plus you have to pay to view records, so there isn't really anyway of knowing how much of your data (if any) is on there without spending a small fortune (depending on your internet presence).

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
devolution, you should write them with your concerns. Having used it extensively, I feel the search functions can definitely give you a good indication if they have a record with your information in it.

~ Nexus

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom