Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Olympic websites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't see how there would be. It doesn't mention the Oympics. Of course I am not a lawyer and that is not a qualified legal opinion.

missedcall

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I actually made good $$$ from olympic domains. You just have to follow the rules and respect copyrights.
Doing this there will be no legal problems...generally when you will get a domain close to a famous brand always search and find court desicions in similar cases.

E.g you cannot get the olympic-2004.com and put "DOMAIN FOR SALE", or put a web site selling products ...they will close you down in record time :)

JUST follow their rules . A small explanation is on an "olympic bucket" I have on Ebay HERE

missedcall

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
neilfj said:
Can you sell the names to the IOC?

:) OF COURSE NOT :cheeky:

If they want the name they will hunt u in court and they will win....but if u follow the rules simply they will not open a case cause they know that they will not win.

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
missedcall said:
JUST follow their rules . A small explanation is on an "olympic bucket" I have on Ebay HERE

:rolleyes:

Your explanation is nonsense. Olympic trademarks are enforced very strongly and even have specific extra legal protections internationally.

missedcall

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
namedropper said:
:rolleyes:

Your explanation is nonsense. Olympic trademarks are enforced very strongly and even have specific extra legal protections internationally.

They have extra legal protections but if you don't violate anything you will not have any problems.. check www.olympic-2004.com ....I sold this project recently just before the games..the IOC sent me a notice few months ago and let me know to put a notice that this is not an official site..which I did and nothing more happened..:) I also included a statement that the names olympic alympiad etc are registered to IOC and have nothing to do with my site.....the new owner removed this but it is NOT my problem anymore..so I don't believe that explanation is nonsense cause it worked :-D

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
OK, first, I'm not sure believing the word of someone trying to sell a bunch of names that infringe upon the trademark of the Olympic Committee would be a good strategy for other people. Second, even if what you say is true about how the Olympic Committee dealt with you, that's one instance, and you can;t guarantee that they will always do the same to other people. Only *they* can tell someone how *their* trademarks can be used properly. We've seen many examples where the exact same scenario you described gets the cybersquatter dragged into UDRP or court. They can choose when they decide to enforce and when they don't. It's all completely up to them. Your opinion on the matter makes no difference.

In fact, simply trying to sell their names is a violation of what they supposedly agreed with you was OK, because you are trying to profit off of their mark (and you claimed earlier that as long as you don't try to profit you're OK). Your story contradicts itself, and it's clearly intended to help you make money at the expense of other people. Anyone who believes what you have to say about it would be a reckless idiot. It's like taking the word of someone trying to sell jewelry on a street corner that the merchandise isn't stolen and that you won't get inbto trouble for buying it.

Garry Anderson

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I seem to remember somebody saying you cannot use the word Olympic in any business - even those not associated with Olympics.

However:

http://www.olympic.co.uk

Therefore - what is wrong with selling olympic.newTLD in secondary market to any business that wants to use it?

P.S. I presume you have all tried http://www.olympic.com?

Garry Anderson

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Neil> "Thats alright, as it has nothing to do with olympics?"

I presume so - however I was told this was a 'special' word - quite different from all the rest of words (none made up) , which can be used by other businesses in different goods/services.

missedcall

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
namedropper said:
Anyone who believes what you have to say about it would be a reckless idiot.

I really don't understand why u r so aggressive and you call othe ppl idiots..actally one of the "idiots" bought olympic projects from me is athletic.com .....I don't think they r idiots...and please be carefull with the words you are using..just write down your opinion without such commnets.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Neil> "Thats alright, as it has nothing to do with olympics?"

I presume so

Which would be a dangerous and wrong presumption for anyone subject to US law.

The USOC has their own law, entirely separate from trademark law, which among other things precludes the use of the word Olympic to designate a wide swath of goods and services which (a) are not located in the immediate vicinity of Olympia, Washington or which (b) was not a registered trademark prior to September 21, 1950 (e.g. the paint and stain people).

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/36/220506.html

It is not a trademark issue at all in the US - they have their own special law.

clemzonguy

Domain Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What about websites that relate to events titled XXXXOLYMPICS.com

e.g.

CHOIRolympics.COM (real event)
FOODolympics.COM
MUSIColympics.com
....etc

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
jberryhill said:
Which would be a dangerous and wrong presumption for anyone subject to US law.

The USOC has their own law, entirely separate from trademark law, which among other things precludes the use of the word Olympic to designate a wide swath of goods and services which (a) are not located in the immediate vicinity of Olympia, Washington or which (b) was not a registered trademark prior to September 21, 1950 (e.g. the paint and stain people).

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/36/220506.html

It is not a trademark issue at all in the US - they have their own special law.

Not sure how this is actually enforced and whether there are exemptions. An example: Aristotelis "Ari" Onassis founded Olympic Airways, the former Greek national air carrier - now Olympic Airlines http://www.olympic-airways.com/ - in 1957. Not only that, but the airline logo is very close to the olympic rings. Please explain that to me.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RADiSTAR said:
Not sure how this is actually enforced and whether there are exemptions. An example: Aristotelis "Ari" Onassis founded Olympic Airways, the former Greek national air carrier - now Olympic Airlines http://www.olympic-airways.com/ - in 1957. Not only that, but the airline logo is very close to the olympic rings. Please explain that to me.

You can have more than one TM as long as they are covering different products or services. In fact, you can have multiple trademarks on the same words, in different classes from what I understand. There is no connection between Airlines and The Olympic Games so they are both permitted I am sure.

P.S. John Berryhill, please correct me if I my opinion is wrong.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
In that sense, you can have "Olympic2xxx" and define them as products that fall in a separate class? I am sure it's harder than this.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not only that, but the airline logo is very close to the olympic rings. Please explain that to me.

Two things become apparent looking at their website. The first is that the airline does appear to have a sponsorship deal with the athletic folks, so there is no doubt some sort of agreement relating to the use of terms and symbols. The second is that they are based in Greece, and the statute I mentioned is a U.S. statute.

I do like their "Icarus" frequent-flyer program. I imagine that after you accumulate enough bonus miles, then your wings melt off and you fall into the sea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom