Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

For Sale Once someone has transferred you a name, you can act on their behalf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I recently took an inbound transfer for a .ca domain to my 10dollar.ca account from a Godaddy account.

When attempting to do something else on 10dollar.ca, it asked me which registrant account I wanted to use, between my regular account, and the registrant who had pushed me the other name.

Curious, I selected the other identity, and seemed to allow me to proceed as though I were them.

I was too afraid to take any further steps, so I logged out.

I must be missing something here... why is it I was seemingly able to act on someone else's behalf?

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It always show you the other registrant when you transfer a name. This is why you need to do a registrant transfer.

I am not sure what you mean by acting on their behalf...the domain is just in their name. You need to change that.

When i do transfers on namespro, it always adds the other registrant's name in my account. After i transfer it into my name i ask them to delete other registrant profile as it is useless to me.

Some people have more than one account that's all.

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
After i transfer it into my name i ask them to delete other registrant profile as it is useless to me.

How is it that you transfer it into your name? I already paid to transfer it from GoDaddy to 10dollar.ca... does changing registrant also cost money? Or does it automatically happen and just take a little time?

CanSpace

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Changing a registrant DOES cost money.

The only way around this is for the registrar to do a registrant 'merge' - however when the original registrant has more than one domain associated with the registrant account, this is not possible

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Anytime you are transferring a domain name that isn't yours you have to do a Registrant transfer, when you are changing registrars as in your case you do also a registrar transfer.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A .ca involves two steps.

RegistRAR transfer, this you are familiar with ( godaddy to namespro for example ).
and
RegistRANT transfer, this is done via CIRA, a request is made to the domain owner and they must log into their cira account which holds the domain, they accept and " ownership " is transfered to you the name will appear in your cira account and record of ownership reflect you/your cira account.

Really it has been hit and miss for me depending on which registrar I use to request the transfer, some send out both, others need a reminder. Email your support and state the above, you need a registRANT request sent.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is the true reason people say they have problems with transfers. CIRA did not do a very good job explaining it to the registrars, which have implemented this in different ways, and then the end users, who have heard almost nothing at all about the concept, are forced to try to educate themselves - and sometimes the registrars also - as to how to make it all happen.

theinvestor

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
This is why you need a reliable registrar that understands what they are doing and are able to communicate the message to both users.

Namespro is the best out there.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is why you need a reliable registrar that understands what they are doing and are able to communicate the message to both users.

FYI, Go Daddy hs no clue about registrant transfers.

-=DCG=-

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

-=DCG=-

I'm done with GoDaddy.

theinvestor just said namespro is the best... would you consider 10dollar.ca to be comparable?

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm done with GoDaddy.

theinvestor just said namespro is the best... would you consider 10dollar.ca to be comparable?

Nothing wrong with the people at 10dollar.ca imo. Never had a problem with them and they seem to get it right each time. Namespro will even go as far as pre-loading the cart for clients so all you have to do is pay and accept the CIRA notices.

Ilze

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm done with GoDaddy.

The reason Namespro is the best is that they have personal support. For example, they are doing a rant transfer for me within a fifteen minute time block, and early in the morning, since an enduser is driving to Ottawa to do a transfer. I have every single domain at NP,....and, I can count on them to respond to any question or concern I have usually within minutes.

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Follwing Adam's post here...

-=DCG=-

I followed up on a name I sold to someone with a godaddy account, I looked at the whois and my name is still displayed as the registrant.

I then emailed godaddy saying I recently sold a name that was transferred from my account at xyzregistrar.ca to godaddy.com and that I approved the registRAR transfer. I then asked them if the registRANT transfer could be initiated and this was their reply...

Upon doing a search for this domain name in our system I am able to see that it is now registered with us and is currently in an active status. That being said, no further action is required on your part since the transfer has been completed.

They are correct that the name has been successfully transferred to buyer's account at GD, but are they correct in saying that the whole process is completed?

Did I word my email wrong or is this an example of godaddy.com not knowing about the registRANT transfer?

Last edited:

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No you said it right, RANT needs to be completed. Log into your CIRA account which holds the name and youll see its still in your posession per say.

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yep, it's still there. What's my play here, do I ask GD to initiate this (as I've already done) or do I ask the buyer to do it?

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yep, it's still there. What's my play here, do I ask GD to initiate this (as I've already done) or do I ask the buyer to do it?

I would tell the buyer for sure, you cannot do anything on their behalf.

Tell them exactly what you know, while the RAR clearly worked the RANT was never sent ( cira ownership change ) and until they press godaddy to send that request you still in the yes of cira are the owner, scare them enough to push them I suppose. Make it clear it is a two step process, one to go :)

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the only time I use GD for a .ca is if the person I am buying from has it there and I can't transfer it out because of 60 day or if I buy it with a gd discount and have to wait the 60 days....but either way I get them out to NamesPro as soon as possible. GD is not the place you want your .ca domains...imho

btw....I have transferred several .ca names out of gd to NamesPro and had no problems with that at all...so far anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom