Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

One&One Domain name registrar! Warning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laird Mobi

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello i dont know if many of you have heard of this registrar (oneandone .co.uk/.com), but they are very sneaky and sly. If you reg a domain name with them and no longer want it, you cannot just let it expire like most other registrars, you must send a signed document to them stating what domain name you want to expire, you then have to wait for a reply from them to confirm this, then you have to reply to their reply to confirm that you have received their letter/fax!

If you dont do any of this you will be billed for renewal of your domain and obvioulsy will have to fight to get your money back! But a refund will be very unlikely!

This is what i call making the expiry process too complicated and awkward in order for them to gain financially! I have heard several people complain about their service, and would give you a clear warning to stay away from them. In the end what you pay for is what you get!

One and One = Cheap and nasty!

batface

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
aggieuk said:
Hello i dont know if many of you have heard of this registrar (oneandone .co.uk/.com), but they are very sneaky and sly. If you reg a domain name with them and no longer want it, you cannot just let it expire like most other registrars, you must send a signed document to them stating what domain name you want to expire, you then have to wait for a reply from them to confirm this, then you have to reply to their reply to confirm that you have received their letter/fax!

One and One = Cheap and nasty!

Thanks for the info. I have quite a few (hopefully will renew though) with 1&1.

"cheap and nasty" - i'm not sure about the cheap bit after I started shopping around/abroad!

cheers,

redbulldog

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the warning aggie, Im ust admit Ive used one&one a lot in the past but now wish I hadn't. They dont make domain transfers easy do they? Who would you recommend for a .co.uk registrar?

Laird Mobi

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Def 123-reg.co.uk they are my choice! I have over 350 .co.uk domains with them and transfers in at the mo are free! Until 1st Aug i think. So get those 1&1 domains transferred quick! I have just had to transfer all the rest of my .co.uk's from 1&1 had to fax email and phone, not very good! Not what i expect from an online business!!!!! 123-reg i have had very little problems with, and aswell as that you can instantly become an affiliate, then you can click on your banner, and get 50p off every transaction. Brilliant, you pay a little extra but it's worth it.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
1&1 is (or was) running a special on .US tld. registration.

But, I decided it was not worth the risk and hassle.

It is difficult enough and time consuming to deal with registrars that are easy
to work with.

I don't need to do business with registrars that make it difficult so
they can lock you in and restrict your movement of the domain.

Omar

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I recently transferred a .co.uk domain (1 month old) from 1&1 to Enom, and was slightly concerned after having read horror stories about 1&1 not letting go of domains easily.

However I followed the standard procedure (contract cancellation via the online site and a confirmation fax to a UK number) and the IPSTAG was changed within 36 hours. No hassles at all.

- Omar

kokopelli

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is this just a UK registrar phenomena? I've had similar problems in the past with uk2 .net

Their pricing, procedures and terms are very deceptive and confusing, to say the least. Especially to newbies. I ended up letting some domains expire and re-registered them with my present (US) registrar to avoid all the hassle.

AbsolutelyFreeW

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
you see domains cost around $6 for icann registrars. anyting below is giving you a domainfor less. they do it to sell you otehr things. there is always a catch. I recommend to buy only from honest registrars

zest2004

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
you see domains cost around $6 for icann registrars. anyting below is giving you a domainfor less. they do it to sell you otehr things. there is always a catch. I recommend to buy only from honest registrars

absolutely right. I'm totally with you. the domain cost is $6 for icann registrars, so how do they make money selling less than $6? Obviously, they must sell you other things to make up for it.

jeffhuang

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thx for the info. for .co.uk, i'll go to enom instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom