Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

One small step for all Domainers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Read some great historical points on him earlier. I guess you could say he was one of the original geeks. He was an engineer. Go into aerospace design. Actually designed some guidance systems on the X-15. He then figured the only way to test them out and later make adjustments was to fly the thing himself and try out his improvements.

And the rest, as they say, is history.

I guess you could call him an accidental pilot and perhaps even an accidental astronaut.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Anyone who actually left the earth and came back down is a hero.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree. I just find it mind boggling that a person like him could accomplish all he did and remain so low key and out of the limelight. As another author put it, after the moon shot, no matter where he went or what he did he had the "golden ticket" but never cashed it in. He simply went back to work.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I briefly saw the moon last night, what with increased cloudiness in the area. I could not but think of Neil Armstrong. He permanently etched his name on the big yellow head of cheese in the sky.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone who actually left the earth and came back down is a hero.

Astronauts from the Apollo missions actually never left earth, it was all a hoax, staged by NASA and the US Government to make us THINK they went to the moon, this according the conspiracy nut jobs who actually believe Government has the ability to silence over 400,000 people who worked on the Apollo project.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Astronauts from the Apollo missions actually never left earth, it was all a hoax, staged by NASA and the US Government to make us THINK they went to the moon, this according the conspiracy nut jobs who actually believe Government has the ability to silence over 400,000 people who worked on the Apollo project.

To be accurate, the conspiracy advocates state that the capsule could not have made it past the Van Allen belt and survive, due to radiation; hence, the missions were 'engineered'.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

The government silences more than 1,000,000 of us who serve in the military. Just today I had to sign a statement that said I wouldn't share any classified material for 75 years (or I'd go to prison). ;) Just saying.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Fascinating to think how much was accomplished by these engineers, designers, physicists, and other intellectuals with the most rudimentary of rudimentary computers. Machine shops, calipers, and the beloved slide-rule (I have one made of ivory purely for the novelty of it). What was done is nothing short of miraculous as well as impressive. Seat of your pants flying, every stitch of everything hand calculated, hand drawn, and so on. No cad machines. Test pilots truly were made of the Right Stuff...and plenty of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom