Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Open Debate - Please join in !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spider

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
d) A grey area that could go either direction
e) A really nice name that could earn some major $$

Has this corporation successfully won simular domains through UDRP casses?

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"My ownership of #######s.com is:"

...set forth without any indication of (a) your intent in registering the domain name, or (b) what you are currently doing or plan to do with the domain name.

Your question boils down to something like:

I just killed someone. I will get:
(a) a medal
(b) a conviction for first degree murder
(c) an acquittal for manslaughter

On the facts stated, (a), (b), or (c) might be correct.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
D - GREY AREA......we need more facts...and either way its tough to decide, so I will sit on the fench for now....good point jberryhill :)

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"Other than the name itself - I would be happy to provide any facts you would need to make a decision."

Oh, good. What is your checking account number?

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A lot of the discussions here treat all trademarks as if they were equal. They aren't. Also, the idea of a surname being "generic" in the trademark sense of the term seems a bit odd, unless the surname happens to be something like "Smith" which is also an English word for a person who pounds iron on an anvil.

When you say that #####.com is the company's website and ###### is "part" of the Company's name, those facts do not necessarily mean that ##### is used as a trademark by that company. Is it a distinctive part of the company's name? Are they primarily known as ######, or by the whole name?

And what about you? If I selectively went through all of the domain names you've ever owned or sold, would I be able to come up with enough terms that also happen to be trademarks, that I would be able to persuade a judge or UDRP panel that you've engaged in a pattern of registering trademarks?

It's not an "emotional debate", but it can be subjective, and can depend on how well you argue your point. Take Barcelona.com - a perfectly legitimate domain name registration. Now, it has taken one UDRP panelist, one federal judge, and then a panel of three appellate judges just to get that one boneheaded dispute to come out the right way. Was the registrant cybersquatting? No. Did it take years to prove that point? Yes.

JH3 also raises a relevant point about the history of enforcement that any of these parties might have had relative to similar variations on the term.

LewR

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks to jh3 and jberryhill for posting - and gt for sitting on the fence...LOL

Looks like no one wants to discuss this in a generic sense - so I will pull the plug. It was a worthwhile expericment, and now I know the result...LOL

I Thank everyone for looking!!

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"I Thank everyone for looking!!"

One of the reasons why I post here is to provide some general considerations for folks to think about, not to provide personal legal advice in response to specific questions. Going back and deleting the original question sort of defeats the purpose of having a public discussion, don' t you think?

LewR

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jberryhill
"I Thank everyone for looking!!"

One of the reasons why I post here is to provide some general considerations for folks to think about, not to provide personal legal advice in response to specific questions. Going back and deleting the original question sort of defeats the purpose of having a public discussion, don' t you think?

I normally leave everything on a thread. I will email more details.

Thank you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom