Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Open Domain Name Exchange "to Bring Order to Resale Market"

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerfectNames

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's slightly surprising that nobody here seems to have commented on this development yet - it was announced on Friday (Note to PR: Fridays are only good for announcing bad news).

The following are selected quotes from the press release (which is available in its entirety at http://home.businesswire.com/portal...Id=news_view&newsId=20050408005110&newsLang=e):

"Drawing on the design of stock exchanges that provide secure, trusted and structured markets for buyers and sellers of publicly traded stocks, the new Global Domain Name Exchange (GDNX) has been launched to bring standardized business practices to the secondary domain name marketplace.

The breadth and depth of the GDNX market allows buyers and sellers to realize the best value for the exchange of domain names and to benefit from the lowest transaction costs. [...]

It is clear that the market for previously-registered names has grown so large, so diverse and so important to the health of the industry that it demands an open exchange to bring together the largest-possible number of buyers and sellers, and the largest variety of names and TLDs. [...]

The secondary domain name marketplace, valued over $100 million annually, includes domain names that have expired, as well as those that current owners want to sell. Still in its infancy, the market has yet to be standardized, leaving buyers and sellers splintered and subjecting prices to the price vagaries inherent in thin markets. [...]

By serving the resale, expiry and deletion elements of the secondary domain name market in one exchange, the GDNX can offer the most efficient solution with optimized valuations and significantly lower transaction costs. [...]

The GDNX provides a clearing house for the industry with simplified, standard practices that benefit all of its participants.[...]

The GDNX operates virtually, with member registrars serving as the public access to the market. Through their registrars, people will now have access to all available domains including valuation estimates and traffic analysis data. They also have the option of three different formats to conduct GDNX transactions: fixed price, auction and bid models. Buyer and sellers will each be assessed a two percent transaction fee for each domain which trades on the exchange. [...]"

With the benefit of hindsight, all great ideas seem obvious - don't they?

LeftRightOut

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
PerfectNames said:
The following are selected quotes from the press release (which is available in its entirety at http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20050408005110&newsLang=e):

Link doesn't work for me and it sounds like just another domain for sale/sales ranking site. What is so good about it? is it yours?

Edit: Ok had to go through from google. Still looks iffy, a major exchange with a .org extension? I don't think so. and it only has a few pages, you'd think they would have at least a few things to check out as they launch. It's a shame just about anyone can issue a press release and it makes it into news aggregators and picked up by others.

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Link did not work for me either.

Regards,
Em

PerfectNames

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
LeftRightOut said:
What is so good about it? is it yours?

Edit: Ok had to go through from google. Still looks iffy, a major exchange with a .org extension? I don't think so. and it only has a few pages, you'd think they would have at least a few things to check out as they launch. It's a shame just about anyone can issue a press release and it makes it into news aggregators and picked up by others.

Categorically not ours (although i wish it were).

Fully agree regarding the .org bit: good idea, shame about the name! One could rationalize the choice of a .org (given it is supposed to be an open exchange/clearing house for the industry), but they actually seem to share the GDNX name with a Chinese .com that looks entirely unrelated to any of the players involved.

Anyway, it is ironic indeed that the aspiring clearing house for the domain name industry wouldn't be able to come up with a better name.

That said, I must disagree on one fundamental point - these guys are not just "anybody". You may have missed a small detail in the press release:

Tony Farrow (the CEO) "was recruited to the new GDNX post by Pool.com, currently the world's leading provider of secondary domain names and whose industry-leading technology will power the GDNX. Farrow brings more than 15 years of extensive leadership experience in the technology sector to the GDNX from across a variety of key disciplines including telecommunications, venture capital and business-to-business software."

The key detail here appears to be the role of Pool.com.

We are not saying that this will be an immediate runaway success. But could it be transformative for the industry as a whole in the medium to long term? Absolutely.

LeftRightOut

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
TheWatcher said:
Link did not work for me either.

For anyone else who wants to see the release
1) Go to http://news.google.com
2) Type in gdnx in search box and click search
3) hit first link

their website is http://www.gdnx.org/

I still say it's iffy, a place where the press release is lengthier than all the content on their website smacks of dot comism. I don't care who they hired they obviously didn't pick up very much knowledge along the way going for a .org i'm surprised they didn't go for some hyphens while they were there. (Nothing wrong with having a .org or hyphen name but if you pretend to be a big boy you should know better unless of course your site happens to be slashdot.org)

So they may have a feed from Pool, good for them. If they are still around in 6 months i'd be surprised, if they actually get off the ground even more so.

Plus membership is for ICANN accredited Registrars only who can then do things on behalf of their clients, very limiting.

For anyone who is super interested here's a PDF they sent out to registrars listed on the ICANN mailing list archives.

http://gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/archives/registrars/msg02843.html

And you can read Tony's spiel about the service from the ICANN meeting in Mar Del Plata here (Search for gdnx to jump to his bit). Including questions from the floor.
http://www.icann.org/meetings/mardelplata/captioning-gnso-forum-06apr05.htm

PerfectNames

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
LeftRightOut said:
I still say it's iffy, a place where the press release is lengthier than the content on their website conbined smacks of dot comism. I don't care who they hired they obviously didn't pick up very much knowledge along the way going for a .org i'm surprised they didn't go for some hyphens while they were there. (Nothing wrong with having a .org or hyphen name but if you pretend to be a big boy you should know better unless of course your site happens to be slashdot.org)

So they will have a feed from Pool, good for them. If they are still around in 6 months i'd be surprised, if they actually get off the ground even more so.

Good one about the hyphens :laugh:

You may be right about this particular outfit, who knows. It it not unheard of for good companies to fail in trying to implement brilliant original ideas. But whether this first attempt succeeds or not, the idea is already "in play" as they say in the capital markets. It cannot be uninvented. Somebody will get it right sooner or later.

By the way, many thanks for posting the Google links. We should have thought of that.

In closing, our enthusiasm is for the idea itself (not for the way it is being implemented). We still think it could be big. Remember you heard it here first :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom