Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

.Org Not just for "Non-Profit"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I would like to open this discussion,with the idea that the ".org"
tld, can also be used for profit.

My feeling is that this extension, in combination with highly used /popular search terms, can effectively serve traffic from this .org name, to less popular .com/net/us commercial websites.

Thus using the .org domain name as a portal or mini-seo.

An example, to use one of my own names, would be.....

"ToolsOnline.org"

This name could be used for driving traffic to a listing of "tool sites and hardware" or even webmaster tools.

Your opinions please!

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree - I use several .org's to link to my main commercial site - this site then benefits from links and hence search engine placement, (I have No.1 spot for my desired search terms).

Some large companies use .org, so why not me? Also can benefit from typeins etc.

.org rules okay! :D

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I thought I posted about this before. Anyway, I once had a client whose website domain is a two keywords .org with a hyphen in between! But you know what, we successfully made it to the top (yes, #1!) of AOL search for more than 6 months with that keyword string, and he got tons of traffic and a lot of sales. It's an e-commerce site with shopping cart.

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's bad enough that .com gets heavily abused, with lots of noncommercial sites using it instead of the proper .org... now you guys want to do the inverse too, and abuse .org for commercial sites?

Why not use .info for portal-type sites?

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dtobias
It's bad enough that .com gets heavily abused, with lots of noncommercial sites using it instead of the proper .org...
Interesting. What do you think a local chamber of commerce should register? .com or .org? ;)

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To do what you suggest ie "proper" use of .com, .net, .org etc in every case as it was originally intended, would mean a massive cleanup of the domain structure and that is never going to happen, so your argument, I would suggest, is merely "blowing in the wind".

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by nameslave

Interesting. What do you think a local chamber of commerce should register? .com or .org? ;)

.org, if it's a nonprofit organization, even if its subject matter concerns itself with commerce. Similarly, the U.S. Department of Commerce is properly in .gov.

In fact, way back when I worked for an ISP, I actually submitted the domain registration for a chamber of commerce site, and it's a .org:

http://www.shreveportchamber.org/

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
True. BUT when you ask them (I did that for more than a couple of times with a few local chambers in my area), they would say "DEFINITELY dot-com"! :D

What better domain would there be for the Shreveport Chamber of Commerce than shreveport.com? Of course, not a chance that they will get it. ;)

schmidte

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by nameslave
I thought I posted about this before. Anyway, I once had a client whose website domain is a two keywords .org with a hyphen in between! But you know what, we successfully made it to the top (yes, #1!) of AOL search for more than 6 months with that keyword string, and he got tons of traffic and a lot of sales. It's an e-commerce site with shopping cart.

I'm glad to hear this, I just regged TOPstocks.org. Wasn't quite sure if org and stocks went together, all other extensions were taken and the name had been registered before, plus it had good OV numbers. The way I look at it, if it's a decent name and .com and .net are taken, get the org and see what happens.
ED

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom