Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Original Owner Contacted...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bveditz

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just Curious, I recently bought a domain name for it's traffic and was contacted by the marketing director for the original company who had mentioned (voicemail, yet to have a chance to talk to them personally) that they had bought the domain about 6 years back through an advertising agency and never got the renewal notice and they would like to get the domain back (he didn't understand why I would be interested in the domain, since it was kinda specific to their business (but doesn't appear to be a tm type name)). Anyway, The site doesn't have a lot of traffic, (about 20 link popularity on each of the search engines) so I don't really care about it. The question is, what would be a fair value to return it to them for. Also, I see mention various places that there is a 2 month restriction before you can transfer a domain. I registered this through godaddy, would there be a way to even transfer it to someone before the 'two months' is up. Or, am I wrong about the two months. Not sure... Anyway, any advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ask $250- $300, if it gets some traffic
And in godaddy there is free ownership change, but yes You can`t transfer the domain away for 60 days! But You can transfer it to the new owners name in godaddy.

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you do domain name registration business or other ISP related business. I suggest you do the following:

- Confirm that he/she is the original owner of the domain.
- Create retail account and manage the domain from there.
- Inform your client that you need $99 fee for administrative processing.
- Give him the account and the domain. This way he/she still in your business.

This approach, you may develop long term relationship with your client and possible chain relationship to it's business clients or partners.

A $99 dollars revenue is enough for one domain deal.

This is my professional approach to deal with my clients. You may be able to get more input from other experts in this community.

Regards,
TheWatcher.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If the owner had attempted to renew the domain after it had expired, how much would it have cost him? - around $150 in most cases I believe. Why should he now expect to get it cheaper from you?
If you want to give it up I would charge at least $250 and let him accept responsibility for his own error. It is not your responsibility that he allowed his domain to expire.

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hmm... getting greedy ... or you might get nothing.

bveditz

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for everyones reply. I was considering about $200, so that seems in line with most peoples suggestions. I did leave a message for the person to contact me back, haven't heard anything from them yet. I pick up all my names to build websites with or for traffic, never tried to resell one before.

Thanks again!

domainduck

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I do not see any reason to treat the previous owner any differently than anyone else... Especially now that the redemption period is in place.

As resellers, we monitor hundreds, even thousands of domain names to make sure that they do not expire. I am constantly checking renewal dates and making decisions on which to keep and which to drop... Time is money.

If the registrant of a domain names does not care enough about his/her property to keep track of it --- phooey!

And I find the myriad lame excuses and stories for losing a domain name boring.

I would start at $750.00 USD... period.

quack :D

bveditz

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Actually... I have to agree with you as far as it being stupid to loose a domain name. I actually -might- understand someone losing it if they have hundreds or thousands of domain names, but not people who have a couple for their business (or in this case, *one*). Not because I think that they could not get thier expiration notice, but more because they didn't notice for over an entire MONTH that their website wasn't working. :) Yes, missing a due date, I understand. Having an agency do the work and not getting notified, also understandable... But not noticing that your website no longer resolved??? He even pointed out in his message that it had expired back in January. :)

C'est la vie. Actually I haven't gotten a return call yet, so it may be a moot point. It really doesn't matter to me either. Yes, selling it would make more then it would with it's traffic. However, from the stats I've been watching, I think it'll make money even if I keep it. It was only $8.75 and a hand-reg anyway... I think it may have been one I found listed on Domain Duck. :)

Zoobar

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by TheWatcher
If you do domain name registration business or other ISP related business. I suggest you do the following:

- Confirm that he/she is the original owner of the domain.
- Create retail account and manage the domain from there.
- Inform your client that you need $99 fee for administrative processing.
- Give him the account and the domain. This way he/she still in your business.

This approach, you may develop long term relationship with your client and possible chain relationship to it's business clients or partners.

A $99 dollars revenue is enough for one domain deal.

This is my professional approach to deal with my clients. You may be able to get more input from other experts in this community.

Regards,
TheWatcher.

Good advice.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If they are nice, be nice.
If they are not nice, charge them up the ying yang!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom