Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Others using my site as their own creation

Status
Not open for further replies.

dadster

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not sure what to do about this:

I developed a site http://www.needmortgage.net and have started to see that two other sites refer to it as a site developed with their product. Sites in question:

http://www.parkslopetaxandaccounting.com/qb/qbwebsite.cfm
and
http://www.kwrobelcpa.com/qb/qbwebsite.cfm

Click on the link 'View a Website sample" and you will see my new revised page as to their scam.

I have written both asking them to cease, and have changed the site so visitors are aware that they are flimflammers.

Anything else I can do - or anything I shouldn't have done?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Frank

Andrew Shaw

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I will not doubt be contacting an attorney unless they cease their fraud

Change that to NO doubt.

Also, the best you can do is contact them from what I understand. If the site means a lot to you, which Im sure it does... I would consider contacting your lawyer regarding copyright laws. To protect yourself, it wouldnt hurt to dedicate a page to explaining that the material wherein this site is not to be duplicated etc...

I would talk to someone more experienced in this field though. Good luck.

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Frank,

Hit them with a huge lawsuit. Obviously these appear to be shysters and if they are fleecing you how many others have they done this to?

Just used Google satelite to find out the kind of property, and they are lovely new homes there!

Of course you could always ask them to pay a royalty, say $900 for each one sold on top of a $50,000 licence to sell your work, per website they advertise it on of course. :eek:k:

You could also of course just point out to them that they live in a nice house according to the satellite image and it is new and ask them how much it cost?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not sure what to do about this:

Frank
Congrats on your success that others want to copy you.

I think you have don the appropriate thing by warning visitors. A bold banner would help.

But in the meantime you are losing traffic and money? That is not cool.

I would definitely seek legal advice on this. You should keep details records of every thing, when this first came to your attention etc.

If you are losing money while your site is down, you should consider a couple of options.

Leave the site down as a great preventive to stop this fraud, as you have done, calculate daily loses, hosting, etc. Punitive, monetary, and civil damages could be sought.

Get you site back up with a large banner at top warning the consumer.

Sorry you have to deal with this. Just goes to show that success breeds scams.

D

Deleted member 5660

look into a dmca takedown notice sent to their provider

K

karter9977

Dadster,

I was bored so I did some research and theres a ton and I mean a ton of sites that are using your domain/website.

I will send you a list of all the websites I found soon, theres a lot.

Steve

Kamloops

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
All sites look like shit :D

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why have you taken your site down?

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why have you taken your site down?

Agreed - why go to that extreme. A big banner in the center would suffice. You are only hurting yourself by taking your site down - you don't want to get indexed like that and lose any hard work up to that point.

jmizel

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here's some advice from a Webmaster who's been ripped of many times...

Are you rich? Are you bored? Are you vindictive? Can you afford to waste time, energy, and valuable traffic?

Best advice, forget about it and put your site back. Then put your ads up and promote it and make some money. These guys are sending you traffic and giving you inbound links, all good things.

If you insist on acknowledging them, just add some copy to the bottom of the page with a link to what's on the home page now. Don't waste valuable real-estate trying to "get back" at them. The best revenge is a fat paychek from Google every month;)

Jonathan

cyberlaw

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In addition to some of the other comments, I recommend that anyone that creates original content file for copyright protection with the U.S. Copyright Office. In addition to giving you the "clear designation" of rights, there are also other advantages, such as statutory damages and some other protections. My firm does these or you can file them yourselves at copyright.gov.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In addition to some of the other comments, I recommend that anyone that creates original content file for copyright protection with the U.S. Copyright Office. In addition to giving you the "clear designation" of rights, there are also other advantages, such as statutory damages and some other protections. My firm does these or you can file them yourselves at copyright.gov.
I would also like to add that you can add © or TM to original content without having to have the copyright or the TM issued.

All can be "pending".

I have often seen original artwork that I have done reproduced without permission. I have and maintain rights to that work until I "sell" those rights. Usually when I sell a painting or graphics, I am releasing my rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom