Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Overkill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjlever

Boa Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Recently read an article about a huge archeological discovery. The discovery was a lavishly decorated cave where the founders of Rome Romulus and Remus were supposedly raised/nursed by a wolf. The site is called the lupercale. I quickly tried to register domains associated with this name. lupercale.com was taken but I did get a .net and .info and even lupercalegrotto.com. Feeling as though I had missed out by not getting the .com I checked Italy’s tld .it and it was available so I registered lupercale.it and lupercalegrotto.it for $72 a piece. But now I’m wondering was that overkill? Does registering the country tld for landmarks make sense? Obviously .com is still king but when does it make sense to register something in a country tld’s?

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you registered every extension it would be overkill...and it's always a gamble I guess, but now I do not think you went overboard if it's something you are interested in, but at the same time I do not think there are going to be many visitors to your domains..so next time you have to ask yourself this very important question whenever you register something like this...and that is "if this gets traffic what am I going to do with it?" and also my favorite "is this traffic even valuable?" or even better than those two "is anyone going to buy this domain?" Good luck.. ;)

Chris

rjlever

Boa Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Chris, thanks for the insight.

After I realized the .com was taken I knew any hope of type in traffic was gone. But, I was thinking of building a mini information site to generate ad revenue based around tourism. Not sure if a .net will naturally attract more search engine traffic then a country tld. Anyone have insight into SEO ranking certain tld’s higher then other tld’s or is it pure content and links that drive PR? Looks like I’ve got a few too many names to this historical site… Hmm, looks like it may have been overkill.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think .it does make sense because localities in Italy make extensive use of their extension and even use subdomains for the region they are in: eg. regione.abruzzo.it comune.pescara.it comunemarano.na.it
Develop and be prepared to add content in Italian too. BTW make sure you qualify for .it registration (EU person or entity).

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom