Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

overnite ppc comparisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
in an effort to measure who will pay the most, every so often i'll shake things up

so, yesterday i moved a 2 word domain from parked to Sedo

below are stats for a two day period @ Parked

10 1 $25.00 10.00% $0.25 $0.25 < date 8/23/09

4 4 $87.50 100.00% $0.09 $0.35 < date 8/24/09

Month to date @ Parked:
252 89 $53.45 35.32% $0.15 $13.47

Now below is yesterday's (8/24/09) result from Sedo:

9 3 33.33% $1.22 $3.67

------------------

The other day i also moved a "one word domain with a number at the end", from parked to sedo.

for the month to date at Parked:( approx 20 days)
337 117 $5.55 34.72% $0.02 $1.87

for the few days at Sedo:
82 14 17.07% $0.18 $2.48

this is just a comparison of two domains, and probably not the big picture...but every extra $ is an extra $.

i may have to move some from sedo to parked, or from domainsponsor to namedrive in the future...who knows.

but if there are some measurable differences, i'll keep you posted.

it may not give you much insight without knowing the actual domains, but the point is not to get too comfortable.

:)

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder how long the increase will hold.

I also play with "overnight" literally. I seem to get better clicks for my financials later in the evening, so I'm thinking California targeted ads might be paying better for some of my terms, so I have been trying changing ad networks on a few sites overnight.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Unfortunately such moves don't give the full picture.
First, the same DNS should be used and host records to be changed, so that the move is transparent and instant. Second, PPC varies tremendously from day to day and from week to week. In other words, to obtain accurate data, one would have to park almost identical domains at both PPC companies at the same time and compare the results.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
:yo: thx

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately such moves don't give the full picture.
First, the same DNS should be used and host records to be changed, so that the move is transparent and instant. Second, PPC varies tremendously from day to day and from week to week. In other words, to obtain accurate data, one would have to park almost identical domains at both PPC companies at the same time and compare the results.

Hi

i did state, "this is just a comparison of two domains, and probably not the big picture".

also a move from one ppc to another thru the change of dns, will not happen immediately worldwide, at the same time, simply because of the time it takes to update.

we all know the variances, ups and downs that take place with these services, so that is a given

finally, i have parked domains at "two different" ppc's at the same time and i can tell you this:

one or the other of the two, will always receive more visitors than the other, thus there would be no true comparision by visitors, only in epc

therefore, whether you do it separately or simultaneously, has no effect on comparing epc.....from my experiences.

but would love to hear how you faired in similar testing.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had similar results with 10 domains, each parked for 30 days at:

Sedo
Parked
Fabulous

I'll see if I can find the file (among all these files).

Bottom line was Sedo came out on top with the money.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
You don't change the DNS, Don. That's what I am saying. You modify the A records and forward the domain to the other PPC. The change is instant.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You modify the A records and forward the domain to the other PPC. The change is instant.
I know each registrar is different, but is there a link that outlines this process? So rather than change DNS you change something else?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You don't change the DNS, Don. That's what I am saying. You modify the A records and forward the domain to the other PPC. The change is instant.

yeah, i know, but i don't do url forwarding for most of my domains

I know each registrar is different, but is there a link that outlines this process? So rather than change DNS you change something else?

yes, for example at enom

you leave the ns the same as the sponsor registrar and just change the "host records", using one of several choices: A, CName, Url Redirect or Url Frame, then put the ppc landing page url.

the changes may be immediate as shown in the update on your control panel, but still for some registrars there can be delays.

and depending on your registrar, they may charge for url forwarding, where all others registras basically let you change ns for free.

example is netsol, url forwarding is a extra fee and last time i checked, so does moniker, unless you ask for for it personally.

ck89102

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I pale in knowledge so please bear with me. There seem to be so many variables in parking - the type of name, the monetization, the ranking of the parked page, etc. - doesn't a fair comparison usually take much longer?

btw, I'm moving names between Parked & Fabulous, but giving them a 6 month trial. I do have 30 day comparison stats but this isn't fair between these two due to the Yahoo vs Google referrals, right?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I do have 30 day comparison stats but this isn't fair between these two due to the Yahoo vs Google referrals, right?
I think a 30 day summary should be adequate.

If they are the
same names
same basic keywords

for thirty days that should give a pretty good indication.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I pale in knowledge so please bear with me. There seem to be so many variables in parking - the type of name, the monetization, the ranking of the parked page, etc. - doesn't a fair comparison usually take much longer?

btw, I'm moving names between Parked & Fabulous, but giving them a 6 month trial. I do have 30 day comparison stats but this isn't fair between these two due to the Yahoo vs Google referrals, right?

Hi Craig

the parking "feeds" which you mentioned Y and G do play a big part and I didn't mention that, and i think parked and sedo ad sources are different.

I think a 30 day summary should be adequate.

If they are the
same names
same basic keywords

for thirty days that should give a pretty good indication.

in another post, i think i put 45 days just to account for any advertiser budget changes, but 30 is cool too.

of the domains i compared, both had been at Parked since January of this year.

though when i moved them, i "did not" change any keywords or templates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom